Can this just be used standalone with another game like Hero Kids without the bloated rules system of Pathfinder?

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
alanwescoat

Can this just be used standalone with another game like Hero Kids without the bloated rules system of Pathfinder?

Postby alanwescoat » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:51 am

I just started playing Hero Kids with my children and ran across Ponyfinder, which I thought they might find interesting, especially since there seems to be quite a few modules, and I need out-of-the-box adventures for them. I am experienced with all kinds of early role-playing games, including D.&D. (blue box), A.D.&D. (1st edition), Champions (2nd and 3rd editions), Gamma World (1st edition), Toon, Car Wars, etc. and wargames like Ogre, Battletech, and Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. I am not at all a fan of crunch, especially for playing a game with children. We just want to play, not slog through 400 pages of rules just to get started. I just took a look at the rules of the first edition of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook to find 400 pages of rules (of 577 pages), which is utterly outrageous. I have no idea why anyone would WANT that many rules, much less want to read them or look things up when forgotten. In fact, back when I used to play A.D.&D., the Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, and Monster Manual combined had a page count lower than Pathfinder's first edition, and I think the typeface was slightly larger as well.

So my first question is pretty simple, as an experienced gamer with nearly four decades of role-playing experience, is Ponyfinder suitable for me to just buy without knowing Pathfinder, read for campaign setting, buy a module bundle, and just play them in a manner compatible with an ultra-simple R.P.G. like Hero Kids? The issue is a matter of work. How much work would that be? The closer to zero the better. I have neither the time nor the imagination remaining to create adventures, especially in this particular setting. I just want to role play with my kids every Friday night.

Also, there is another issue which might matter. I am not a brony. My kids like M.L.P.-F.I.M. I really do not care (though I find some of the spastic and overstimulating behavio(u)rs of the characters to be mildly annoying from time to time). The setting would be of interest to my children. I could make it work if the book establishes the setting on its own well enough, but I am absolutely NOT going to watch episodes of M.L.P.-F.I.M. in order to make it work.

So I guess the second question is pretty simple, too. Just how good is the book, really in terms of independently creating its own unique setting which is not actually M.L.P?

David
Site Admin

Re: Can this just be used standalone with another game like Hero Kids without the bloated rules system of Pathfinder?

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:03 am

Ponyfinder is an expansion, not a game in itself. It works with Pathfinder, Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition, and Pathfinder Second Edition. I suggest one of the latter two if you're dealing with a young player. DnD 5 is specially easy to get into and simple.

David
Site Admin

Re: Can this just be used standalone with another game like Hero Kids without the bloated rules system of Pathfinder?

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:03 am

Oops, realized I missed a part there. Ponyfinder _is_ its own setting, and does not require or even assume you've ever watched MLP at any point.

Return to “Rule Questions”