Consolidated Wealth spell

Chat about Ponyfinder, or anything else on your mind.
Triskavanski

Consolidated Wealth spell

Postby Triskavanski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:34 pm

There are a few things I'd like to know about this spell.

Say for example I've got a pile of copper coins, A standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce, so fifty coins weigh a pound
The spell can transmute 10 pounds per casting. So would it be able to transmute 500 copper coins with a single casting into gemstones worth 2.5 gold pieces? (Since the coins would be worked metal.)

Platemail weighs 65 lbs. Since the spell can only trans mute 10 pounds at a time, what happens if I cast it once on some plate mail? Would it become ten pounds lighter as part of it turns into gemstones? Or would it not function at all? Would I need to cast it a total of 7 times? How fast do I have to keep casting it to make it work?

Since it only takes a standard action, what if I'm in melee with someone who has a metal weapon. Can I reach out and turn it into gemstones?

David
Site Admin

Re: Consolidated Wealth spell

Postby David » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Remind a frazzled pony, which book was this in again?

Triskavanski

Postby Triskavanski » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 pm

The Tribes book, specifically the gem pony section

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:34 am

You didn't say which edition (Pathfinder/5E).

PF:
Consolidated Wealth
School transmutation (metal); Level bard 1, cleric 1, magus 1, shaman 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, summoner 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range touch
Target up to 100 gold/level in gems or coins
Duration instantaneous
Save none; Spell Resistance no
With a touch and an incantation you can cause coins to become an equal value in gem, or gems to become an equal value in coins. You can specify what gems or currency you desire, which could result in little more than a diamond flake if you translate a single copper. Items comprised of valuable metal or gems can be translated but do so poorly, becoming only half their market value in translated material.

In this case, you get 100 gold per level worth of translation going on, enough to liquidate things pretty fast. It's not pound based. If you did 'partially' translate something, yes, I'd make it lighter, and also completely useless until you finished translating it.

5E:
Consolidated Wealth
1st-level transmutation
Classes: Bard, Cleric, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
With a touch and an incantation, you can cause precious metals to become an equal value in precious minerals. You can also cause precious uncut gems to become an equal value in unworked precious metals. You can specify what gems or metals you desire, which could result in little more than a diamond flake if you translate a nugget of copper. Items comprised of worked metal or cut gems can be converted but do so poorly, becoming only half their market value in translated material. You can affect 10 pounds of material per casting.

Ah, here's a 10 pound, so now I assume you were asking about 5e? The answer above is correct still. The item should be unattended, as a note. This is not a new and interesting way to break enemy's stuff mid-combat. If your GM is alright with it, the enemy should at least get a saving throw to throw off your mischievous magic before things get bad.

Triskavanski

Postby Triskavanski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

yeah I was referring to 5e's version.

Cause in 5e's version, 500 copper coins becomes 250 copper coins worth of gemstones since it is worked metal. Hopefully it should make them into uncut gemstones thus allowing you switch back and forth between the unworked metal and unworked gemstones. Though at the same time its not really specific if its a single coin or if it could do multiple coins together.

I'd personally up the casting time to a full minute and add the ritual tag to it. Along with a sentence along the lines of "Items weighing more than 10 pounds require multiple continuous castings of the spell until the amount needed to convert it has been achieved. " Gonna ask my GM about that myself.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

A pile of coins is entirely fine in my view, provided they are one pile. Coins scattered about, less so.

Return to “General”