Race - Steelheart

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Race - Steelheart

Postby David » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:12 pm

Steelheart
Their origin is a mystery, as is the exact nature of their internal workings. The automatons are constructs, often in the shape of a pony, that claim life despite their clearly artificial origins. Steelhearts are constructed, rather than being born, by two or more automatons working in concert to assemble their child. This can only be done using very specialized tools that even the automatons do not know how to manufacture. Because of this, their factories are protected with a zeal that even crusaders cannot match. Others would call them golems, but they dislike the term greatly. They serve no being without a choice, and have free will to decide their lot in life.
When they were first discovered, the Queen ordered the secret of them discovered. The attempt failed, but instilled such fear in the automatons that they declared war on the ponykind that persisted for fifteen years of bloodshed and dismantling on both sides before peace was eventually brokered. Part of the agreement of this peace was that ponykind would never again attempt to force access to any of the steelheart factories.

Physical Description:

Society: Not all contact with ponykind has been under banner of war. The automatons have learned much with their shared cultural exchange with the short lived ponies. They learned to respect their dead, burying them rather than smelting them for metal and disassembling them for parts. They have also cultivated their own appreciation for art, philosophy, and expression. Each automaton has their own likes and dislikes, and takes pleasure in them, even if a visiting pony is perplexed at the idea of an automaton with a collection of paintings or a hobby of singing.
Automaton family life tends to be short lived. Two or more automatons decide that they have complimenting traits and decide to create a spawn. They travel to the closest factory and petition the automaton priests in attendance for permission to fabricate. If they are found worthy, they are permitted to enter and begin the sacred task of creating new life. Once this is complete, the family is charged with the task of instructing and raising the youth over a strict twenty year period. When this is complete, the family is free to disperse, and often does exactly that. Sometimes, automatons decide they favor their current company, and the family persists despite the youth being raised. Automatons do not have a physical gender, though may identify with either of their personal choosing.

Relations: When they don't feel their future is threatened, automatons are eager traders and scholars. Long travel does not bother them, not needing to eat, just rest at times to restore whatever power source propels them, they can go long distances in inhospitable terrain without complaint, getting market goods where they need to be. Automatons dislike the concept of war for any reason less than a threat upon their factories. It's too wasteful. Making and raising automatons takes too much time and energy to squander it on a war.

Alignment: Automatons are each unique, with outlooks forming by bias of their fabrication, upbringing, and personal decisions. One automaton may be a chivalrous protector of the downtrodden while another schemes to exploit the world for every gold piece it has.

Adventurers: The urge to explore and learn is strong in many automatons, drawing them to the adventuring life to see things that normal people would never have opportunity to. The penultimate prize would be to discover the secret of their own existence and to bring back the method of creating a new factory to their people.

A snippet to tease. Pending revision depending on feedback from backer.

tiwake

Re: Race - Automaton

Postby tiwake » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Thats... kind of awesome... lol
Unofficial IRC chat channel for PonyFinder (irc.canternet.org #ponyfinder) http://derpy.me/do4nk

Intendant S

Postby Intendant S » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm

I love it! Nice to see a mechanical race in the game.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm

And all I can wonder are what stats they'll have lol
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

grimAuxilliam

Postby grimAuxilliam » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:37 am

First of all, this is an awesome race.

Normally, a construct is extremely powerful. There's a reason they're 20 roleplay points for creating a new race in pathfinder. For comparison, a human has 9 RP. Also, RP doesn't perfectly correlate to overpowered. They have extra health, a bucket full of immunities, low light and dark vision, and a bunch of other things. Just being an ordinary construct on its own makes it extremely powerful. Immunity to mind effects? Well that sleep spell isn't going to put a pony out of commission. Dominate person isn't going to work either. This makes constructs strong against many enemies.

However, there is a third party race called the relluk. It's pretty much a hulking volcano fragment that has a bunch of brass pipes running through its body. It is considered a construct, but removes most of its stronger features, such as immunity to mind effects and ability drain. I feel that the automaton would follow along side the relluk instead of a basic construct.
The only thing deadlier than a tarrasque is a natural 1.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 am

Physical Description: They appear as ponykind, but their hides are made of metal. The selection of metal used for the exterior varies wildly on the whim of the steelheart's parents, but brass, steel, and tin are popular selections. Their eyes are expressive orbs of light, often set behind glass. While marks of destiny are not a required part of their construction, it is a popular thing to do. Being decoration, a steelheart is free to change their mark at their discretion, provided some metal working tools and some dye.

A physical description, and a name(Steelhearts).

I went with the half-construct type(of fey), which gives them tastes of construct awesome without going hog wild. I don't really want to make any race that's over 13 points(10 is the target). Stat breakdown:

Point Breakdown:
Type - Half-Construct, fey(9)
Size - Medium
Base Speed - 30ft
Ability Score: Standard - +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
Languages: Starts with Common, may select from Sylvan, Dwarven, Gnomish, or Terran as bonus languages.
Racial Traits:
Heart of Steel: +2 racial bonus vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and effects that cause either exhaustion or fatigue.
Cold Heart: Cannot be raised or resurrected via spell. Returning to a factory and paying the material component price for either can restore them to health with the help of the local priests, as if the equivalent spell were cast.
Iron Lungs: Steelhearts do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep. They may, if they wish to gain benefit from doing so. Sleeping to regain spells, or drinking a potion as examples.
Conductive: Steelhearts have electricity resistance 5.

Special Qualities: Low Light Vision, +4 CMD vs trip(Due to being four-legged), +50% carrying capacity(Due to being four-legged)

Rannil

Postby Rannil » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:52 pm

First off, I like the idea. Robotponies! bleep bloop bleep.

I do have a minor question.

David wrote:Cold Heart: Cannot be raised or resurrected via spell. Returning to a factory and paying the material component price for either can restore them to health with the help of the local priests, as if the equivalent spell were cast.

So, if I understand correctly, the idea is, if you have the complete body you can "resurrect" a Automaton by paying 5,000 GP, the equivalent of a Raise Dead. If you only have part of the body you pay 25,000, the equivalent of Resurrection.
Then I wonder... is there a equivalent of True Resurrection available to the Automaton? Can these factories download the personalities from the great beyond, or you are just out of luck if nothing remains of you?
Emissary of the Phoenix Wolves.

Lore Stalker, Seeker of Truth, is writing pony fanfiction right here, on my blog. Currently writing for National Pony Writing Month.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 pm

You're out of luck, poor steelheart.

Horiatius

Postby Horiatius » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Will they be heal-able using cure spells or will they "repaired" using mending?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Nothing written, so unchanged. They can be healed normally, go them. That's one benefit of being half-construct instead of all construct.

Return to “Drawing Board”