Death from Above

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Canada714

Death from Above

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 pm

How do Pegasi and the "Death from Above" feat work together? Doesn't seem fair that they can get a +5 to attack every turn if they're airborne all the time but I guess before pegasi were introduced not a lot of races flew. :adventure:

What's your call on that?
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

IryokuHikari

Re: Death from Above

Postby IryokuHikari » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:14 pm

IMHO, I would say that that feat becomes a must take for pegasi. Melee ones anyways. But note that it's not a tactical +5 all the time, it's on a charge. And as a charge, you take a -2 to AC. It just gives you +5, not just +2 as normal. So, it's good if you're going to play a barbarian pegasus, or a charger, or a lancer paladin ( how will the paladins mount feature work if the character IS the mount? :laugh: I hope that helps.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 pm

You can't charge every round, because you need a charge channel, and you can't do it while next to the target, so if you charged, you're now up on the person and can't charge again unless they back away. If you go charging someone -else-, well, now you're inviting an attack of opportunity while your AC dropped by 2.

Being on higher ground(flying) is already +1. Charging is already +2. All this really gives you is +2 under the specific condition of charging.

Cavaliers get this ability, and are better at it. To make it all the more tasty, you can't stack the two as Death from Above specifically REPLACES all charge bonuses.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:55 pm

This is exactly what I was hoping for. This makes sense now haha. It's a nice boost but its not OP and only gives you a decent boost on one attack. Thanks guys :-)
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Celest

Postby Celest » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Note: it isn't all fun and games for a pegasai hovering beside a target, they must pass DC 15 fly checks every round and, if they take damage, must make further fly checks!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Those are no joke if you didn't take Dashing Flyer at all and are sporting a whopping -8 to fly checks due to your clumsy maneuverability.

Celest

Postby Celest » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:23 am

That first game with a pegasai... how close did they come to plummeting. Never mind that they triggered every encounter in the place on their way.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:38 am

What if you attacked someone on the ground with a reach weapon. If they didn't have one what would happen? Would you be safe until someone pulled out a range weapon?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 am

Yes. Flyers are one of many reasons that NO adventurer should ever be without some kind of ranged weapon.

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 am

Flying targets are actually really difficult to hit, for a pegasus or leather wing flying at a height of 100meters shouldn't be very difficult and 100m is already a great distance for any RL bow or crossbow, with powerful winds, a fast moving target and against gravity no less! All a flight capable creature actually has to do is to learn how to throw (or rather drop) little bottles with alchemical fire (and similar stuff) from certain heights at certain speeds, a thing easily trained with stones roughly the same shape and size (stones like that dropped from 100m actually crack skulls open, through steel helmets! Why did I even bother with fire? And the individual pegasus doesn't have to carry dozens of kg of those, when two of your adventuring companions fall dead with their heads open and you couldn't wound even one pony, you really should hightail in out of there). The only thing that could reliably hit them is magic (other than modern guns) but most magic actually has a pitiful range...

And the fliers could be level 1 commoners, bands of hardened warriors and spellcaster owned by simple everything-but special pegasi and leather wings. I like it! :-D

Edit: now I remember why fire and acid and stuff, against thick shield in turtle formation and such (it's difficult to protect yourself when YOUR SHIELD IS ON FIRE), the only defence I can come up with is intercept fliers for old school pony fights! I like this a lot! :adventure:
Last edited by Platinius on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

Return to “Rule Questions”