Practiced Horn Magic and Str/Int

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
narcolepto

Practiced Horn Magic and Str/Int

Postby narcolepto » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Hey there! One of my players brought something I'd never considered to the table: an Int-based paladin with 8 strength. He's using Practiced and Advanced Horn Magic to use sword/board without actually touching anything, and applying his 20 Int to attack and damage. This got me thinking about other similar builds. How does it work with ranged weapons and thrown weapons? Do you use Int instead of Dex as well, or still use Dex to aim and then Int for any damage mods that would otherwise be Str (Thrown, composite bows)? Neither of these?

:eeyup: I'm 90% sure that it's meant to be Dex to hit and Int to damage, but I wanted to check if anyone had input.

Thanks!

David
Site Admin

Re: Practiced Horn Magic and Str/Int

Postby David » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:59 pm

ranged weapon: Does nothing, but gets you to apply your int to mighty composite bows, so there's that?

Thrown weapons: Hey, extra damage, still uses dex to hit.

Dex is unaffected, only strength.

All of these builds are just waiting for something even bad at grappling to just grab them and slam them against neighboring rocks though.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Do to how similar the Horn Magic ability to Kinetic Combat from Star Wars Saga Edition I prefer to use Cha instead of Int for it.

narcolepto

Postby narcolepto » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:18 pm

David wrote:All of these builds are just waiting for something even bad at grappling to just grab them and slam them against neighboring rocks though.

Funnily enough I just finished building a wizard that's better at grappling than that paladin due to the level 5 Wizard discovery that lets you replace Str with Int for CMB/CMD :)

Thanks for your input David!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:41 pm

... What discovery is this?

Llisandur

Postby Llisandur » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:14 pm

This appears to be the discovery in question.

Knowledge is Power (Ex)
Benefit(s): Your understanding of physical forces gives you power over them. You add your Intelligence modifier on combat maneuver checks and to your CMD. You also add your Intelligence modifier on Strength checks to break or lift objects.

It is from Pathfinder Player Companion: People of the River.

However, it doesn't replace STR, just adds INT. So you still would be better off to have at least 10 STR.
Last edited by Llisandur on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Weak unicorns have a disadvantage. Strength isn't a dump stat for fighters and melee types.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:37 pm

This one has come up and I through I see what others think. When using CMB attacks like disarm you are using the weapon to remove it from your opponent now would a Unicorn get to use their Int and not strength for this. Looking at the wording of them all I couldn't see any issues with this, but wanted to see what others thoughts where.

Also you don't want a fighter with low Str as some of the good combat feats need you to have a set Str. Lowest I go would be 13 so you can get power attack.

Return to “Rule Questions”