Practiced Horn Magic, Saddle Rack, and number of 'hands'

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
CraziFuzzy

Practiced Horn Magic, Saddle Rack, and number of 'hands'

Postby CraziFuzzy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:13 am

My daughter is building a Unicorn Paladin (female version of Shining Armor, as she is describing it to me). She is using a Greatsword in a saddle rack, and was wanting to wield a steel shield with her Practiced Horn Magic. This is normally above the typical number of 'hands' in pathfinder, and I just wanted to know if this is an intended use, or if it should otherwise be limited. IN either case, if she switched to a lance (which i might have her do, for the charge bonus), it would technically be a one-handed weapon when in the saddle rack, correct?

David
Site Admin

Re: Practiced Horn Magic, Saddle Rack, and number of 'hands'

Postby David » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:06 am

You should keep it to two hands at most, meaning, in this case, let her swing the great sword if she likes it, but don't give her the strength 1+1/2, just strength while she's using the shield. You have two hands, at most, worth of attention, just like a human.

CraziFuzzy

Postby CraziFuzzy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Okay, that was my hunch - wasn't sure though. I can see the horn adding more 'hands', as it's a 2-feat tax and a specific racial ability to be able to wield 2-handed - the iffy part was the saddle rack. I'm honestly thinking the saddle rack should have been restricted to lances (which would be one-handed when mounted/pony anyway).

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:45 pm

Saddle Racks are already a tax on a level one character wanting to wield a two handed sword. Limiting them more is cutting down on the already less versatile classes, making them drop even lower tiers when using a pony race, pushing Castor classes.

If that's how you'd like to play, that's fine, but I enjoy class variety.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 pm

The official rules remain as they are. We're completely happy, just don't give your pones 3 hands worth of awesome thanks to saddle racks, since that isn't the intention. They are not human+.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:29 am

You can get it up too 4 hands if you count their mouth

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:39 am

Which is fine for holding things, not so fine when you want to flip them all around at the same time. Just like an alchemist with the extra hand discoveries, which a pony could take too.

Return to “Rule Questions”