Land Speed compared to Air Speed

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Canada714

Land Speed compared to Air Speed

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Now, I haven't gotten a chance to look at the final project so I apologize if this is resolved but the example pages you posted on the fb says that ponykind have a base land speed of 40ft, which makes sense since they are horses, but then pegasi get a 30ft flight speed.

Does a pegasus still have that 40ft base speed? Why is flying slower then?
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

David
Site Admin

Re: Land Speed compared to Air Speed

Postby David » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Let's start with game balance. Flight of any kind is an incredible tool. Even at 30'(clumsy), it makes a lot of fights and obstacles a lot easier.

Pegasi that want more speed can get more speed. We have a feat that ups it by 10' and increases maneuverability a step, which you can take multiple times.(Guess what feat a certain prism themed equine took often?)

In our playtests, our pegasi were quite happy with their flying ability, except one, he took the feat three times and is the speediest thing on the map and is loving it.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Okay, good to hear. Now what happens if a pegasi takes a level in Barbarian or Monk and gets a boost to their speed, does that only go to their land speed?
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Looking at monk, it is specific in applying only to land speed.

Sounds like a great class archetype though.(Disciple of the sky? Cloud Sifu? Winged Ascetic?)

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Yay I contributed!! lol what about a barbarian archetype though? Or are ponies not expected to take to the barbarian class?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Funny you mention that, since we have a barbarian in the playtest, though he is an earth-bound. He smashes things real good.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 am

Hi there! I've been looking through the first Pony book again, and I was wondering, what is Fly Speed? It doesn't mean the same thing as being a pegasus?

My family doesn't play Pathfinder. We play D&D instead, normally a mix of 1st edition rules with some other edition stuff thrown in. But we have the 3rd edition books, so I was able to look up the spells and feats (I had to go to a pathfinder site for Ironhide and Fight On though), but I can't find Fly Speed anywhere. So where did that one come from?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:35 am

Fly Speed means you can fly. It is usually noted with a distance(30ft), and a maneuverability(poor, average, good, perfect, clumsy, etc).

Return to “Rule Questions”