Thoughts on Doppelgangers

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
LegendOfMoriad

Thoughts on Doppelgangers

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:15 pm

The release of A Subtle Change, the book focused on doppelgangers, got me thinking. I'm playing a Kara-Kissed Sun Cat in one of my current campaigns. Looking into the added functionality granted to doppelgangers, I'm curious how far that extends to Kara-Kissed? The book states that they are considered "lesser", but how far does that extend, mechanically?

Beastial Growth and Partial Change look very interesting, particularly to a Druid. The former works as a lesser Wild Shape, and the latter provides some interesting hybridization ideas. I am aware of the ponykind requirement on Adept Changeling, but the DM hand-waved that one out.

Thoughts, anyone?

Side Note: Thank you for your continual production of new and interesting material. I look forward to being able to put it into play.

David
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Doppelgangers

Postby David » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:28 pm

The feat says you qualify for everything a doppelganger pony can get, which means the feats are wide open for you unless they specifically rule out kara-kissed.

LegendOfMoriad

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:37 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply.

On a side tangent, what exactly was the intent of Beastial Growth? My interpretation is that it functions as a lesser Wild Shape. It scales with level, but slower than actual Wild Shape, as well as being limited to Beast Shape. Are there any intended synergies there, or was it just to expand on normal Doppelganger shapeshifting?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm

It is very much a lesser wild shape of sorts, allowing doppelgangers a wide new range of ability. Combined with other feats it also allows for some disturbing and creative forms.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:03 pm

O god this spell "Wave of Change" this is one of them I bury deep and hope the players don't thing it. The things the can screw with just by casting this.

Sneak into goblin camp cast spell get the hell out and wait for them to start killing each other. Go back and loot. Or if you want to mess with the party wait till they are all asleep and cast the spell. As I said burying this one deep deep, so deep not even the dwarfs will find it

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:46 pm

I don't know. They are fond of digging too fast and too deep.

LegendOfMoriad

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:01 pm

I already have plans for a magic item/trap that applies "Wave of Change". I look forward to my party discovering, breaking, and probably misusing it.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Would make an interesting trap.

Return to “Rule Questions”