Where would you place this Charisma?

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Canada714

Where would you place this Charisma?

Postby Canada714 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:14 pm

I always get really confused how rank a character's charisma score when they are an attractive character with social problems. For a pony related example, Fluttershy is meant to be the pony equivalent of attractive (since she becomes a model and all) but she can barely talk to a person. Does this make her a character with high charisma and no diplomacy skills or do you believe looks don't truly go into a charisma score?
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Rannil

Re: Where would you place this Charisma?

Postby Rannil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Charisma is more then looks; Its a total of a character's personality, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and appearance. You can be very ugly, but still have a high charisma and be a great leader, or be gorgeous person but an asocial jerk scaring away anyone.

Perhaps in Fluttershy's case its a roleplay choice? In where she might have a bonus on a diplomacy roll, but character wise "chooses" to butch her diplomacy roll because of the character and personality she has.

Or if we touch on home brew, some kind of flaw, giving a penalty on skills towards other ponies, but a bonus to animals. (That's where Fluttershy's charisma shines and proves she has indeed a high charisma)

For me personally, I say high charisma, no ranks in social skills (Except handle animal) and she "always takes one" when rolling a social skill.
Emissary of the Phoenix Wolves.

Lore Stalker, Seeker of Truth, is writing pony fanfiction right here, on my blog. Currently writing for National Pony Writing Month.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 am

Fluttershy has charisma, she uses it once in a while to great effect. She has 'issues' that prevent her from enjoying her skills, but the skills and talent are still there. She can be an amazing diplomat, her animal handling can't be beat, and she even bluffs well, she just doesn't -actually roll the die- half the time. Having +10 to swinging a sword is not much help if you never swing the sword.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Brilliantly put both of you. Thank you.

I'd actually forgotten about the "Handle Animal" skill in general haha
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Purr

Postby Purr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:44 pm

I agree that the Charisma stat is a little confusing with it affecting both physical appearance as well as presence. One option is to use the "Appearance" stat to split them.

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:43 pm

"Appearances" for Charisma is more of a flavor than a stat. Like stated earlier, a character can be beautiful and have low Charisma for just being annoying to be around. Beauty only comes into the roll of, say a diplomacy check, if the NPC didn't have a come back to what was said because he was too busy "being mesmerized by those eyes" . This would be different than the rogue with a silver tongue who everyone keeps on liking, even though they very well know they shouldn't like him.

Return to “Rule Questions”