Various rules that needs clarifying

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
MintyChip

Various rules that needs clarifying

Postby MintyChip » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:54 am

This is something that was just brought to my attention in my Ponyfinder game about a few things that bothers me.

1. What is the usual ruling for spells that requires vocal components when fingerless characters have something in their mouth? My ruling would be that they cannot cast them without dropping what they are holding but for all intent and purposes of rules, the mouth is counted as main hand and this is what confuses me.

2. Could somepony attach a shield on a side of the saddle rack, and would they still retain the armor bonus? I am inclined to allow it but I want to know what it was intended to be.

Steel_Prism

Re: Various rules that needs clarifying

Postby Steel_Prism » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:41 am

1. Well there is a few way you can play the fingerless rule with spell casting, you can have it so you can cast with out any effect if they have something in their mouth or on page 57 it does give you some other options for it. Or as the GM you can come up with your own rules.

2. This one there is no ruling on it so it will be more of a house rule. I would say its possible and can be done but they wouldn't be able to use things like shield bash. This does mean you can get a pony using a two handed weapon also using a shield so it matters what you want to do.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:55 am

I would allow a pony to strap a buckler to a leg with the usual penalty for a buckler if they're using a two handed(hoofed?) weapon, that is -1 to hit and the buckler doesn't work without a feat.

A shield on the side should only work if they have nothing else strapped on there. I'm imagining someone wheeling their entire body around wildly as they swing a lance strapped to their right and then jinking to get the shield on their left into position as a sword comes in. That's really athletic!

Holding items does not impede speech nor cause spell failure. We had that rule before, back in Ponies for Pathfinder, but it was awkward and penalized not-unicorns for being not-unicorns. I mean, with spell components, you always needed something in your mouth anyway. It's a case of 'realism' vs a fun game, and a fun game should win out. Let the magic ponies talk with their mouths full, barbarians they are.

MintyChip

Postby MintyChip » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 am

Thank you both of you for the quick replies. This has opened my eyes and I finally could reach a fair judgement with your help!

There is so much left to imagination in the book but having help from other parties really makes for the best experience! I will allow spellcasting with something in their mouth without any penalty and will allow for shields on saddle rack. It was just too difficult for me to choose what to do, I have only been DM a hoofful of time after all~ :P I personally am not against a pony using a 2 handed weapon with a shield on a shield rack, though I might use the -1 penalty as if it was a buckler to balance things a bit but really, I'm much more for fun than for such rules!

I have something else that was just asked again which I think I'm going to use and it's to strap light weapons, maybe one handed onto hooves as if using a saddle rack, though will not allow my players to have both that and said rack. And as awkward as walking with that would be.

Thank you again!

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:39 am

There is some weapons you can use with hooves Spiked horseshoes (Spiked Gauntlet) also in the Perseus splat book you good hoof mounted crossbow.

Also with the two-weapon fighting all your need as the Earth pony feat to use two-handed weapons in your mouth or the unicorn one to use it with your horn. So don't need the weapon mounted to the saddle rack.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:57 am

An earth pony with a double weapon (like a quarterstaff) can get to business with two weapon style. Wearing two shoes is also a possibility, or a shoe and a mouth-weapon.

MintyChip

Postby MintyChip » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Right, right... But not really playing a race for their bonuses so have to find fun workarounds :D

Return to “Rule Questions”