Pony Races

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Mystic_Knight

Pony Races

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:20 pm

I recently read the Ponyfinder book and noticed something that irks me.
The racial ability adjustments for the primary 3 pony races don't seem to match up to what I think of them.

For me I think that
They shouldn't be considered Fey, to me they are Magical Beasts

Earth-bound should have:
+2 Strength +2 Constitution -2 Dexterity.
40 base land speed, 30 when wearing heavy or medium armor

Pegasus should have:
+2 Dexterity +2 Wisdom -2 Constitution. They are very limber and have to keep an eye out when flying, but have less dense bones than normal.
40 Fly speed, 20 when wearing heavy or medium armor

Unicorns should have:
+2 Intelligence +2 Charisma -2 Strength. Due to using their magic to lift and carry things they aren't as strong than normal
Mage Hand at will instead of Unseen Servant.

Those are just the irks that have been bothering me for a while.

David
Site Admin

Re: Pony Races

Postby David » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Mage hand, my old nemesis. Mage hand is not nearly as useful as people assume it is. It has the gripping strength on par with one of those grabber games, with the added bonus of being entirely unable to pick up any magic item for any reason.

Unseen Servant, on the other hoof, is an entire magical construct that can do whatever you want it to, even juggle two or three things(whenever your GM decides that's the max for a DC 10 performance check). You can even set it to start doing a task while you go off and do something else. It is miles better, and without painfully arbitrary limitations. So, I dropped mage hand at will, and gave unseen twice a day. They can't use it all day every day, but it gets so much more done. For all day, every day, you take the feats to get mental hands(practiced horn magic).

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:04 pm

I have to say that everything was talked about a lot and from playing the game and making a number of characters the stats that have been picked and chosen for each race works well for them. Earth ponies can be more then fighters. With the Pegs they don't need the Strength as they become Dex based fighters so all you uses Str for is carrying things.

Unicorns with your build wouldn't be anything on the front line fighting wise just at the back shooting spells and just like the Earth ponies they are more then what they are in the show. With to Constitution and the added hits it means they can take fighter roles. With their high Int making up for low Str with the right feats

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:18 pm

I know that Mage Hand isn't as useful, but considering it's just 5lbs telekinesis it kinda makes sense. Not strong enough to manipulate weapons and such. But as a spell that all unicorns would have access to and it would be a great starter spell for them to use since it's a 0 level spell, compared to Unseen Servant which is a 1st level spell.
It's more of a utility spell than anything.
Also Unseen Servant doesn't go away if you loose your concentration. In MLP when Twilight or Rarity loose their concentration what ever they are levitating falls.
They should have made Mage Hand get stronger with every caster level.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:22 pm

We did start out with that, with a mage hand that was drastically altered. The practiced horn magic feat proved to be a lot easier to run and adjudicate, and kept them better balanced vs things with fingers.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Steel_Prism wrote:I have to say that everything was talked about a lot and from playing the game and making a number of characters the stats that have been picked and chosen for each race works well for them. Earth ponies can be more then fighters. With the Pegs they don't need the Strength as they become Dex based fighters so all you uses Str for is carrying things.

Unicorns with your build wouldn't be anything on the front line fighting wise just at the back shooting spells and just like the Earth ponies they are more then what they are in the show. With to Constitution and the added hits it means they can take fighter roles. With their high Int making up for low Str with the right feats

Try telling that to Snowflake aka Bulk Biceps aka Roid Rage. Also these are just the adjustment modifiers, it doesn't mean that a Unicorn cant be a melee dps or a pegasus can't be a tank. It's just going to take some planning to get them there.

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:31 pm

David wrote:We did start out with that, with a mage hand that was drastically altered. The practiced horn magic feat proved to be a lot easier to run and adjudicate, and kept them better balanced vs things with fingers.

I do like the Horn Magic feats and how a unicorn like myself to manipulate a weapon using magic. But you could have also had it buff the Mage Hand ability by increasing the weight it can lift, distance you can manipulate an item, and number of items you can manipulate.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:36 pm

That just makes a unicorn even more master race. They're already pretty darn good. If they want at will mage hand, there are a plethora of options(one level in the appropriate class, rogue trick, not expensive magic item).

Mystic_Knight

Postby Mystic_Knight » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:44 pm

David wrote:That just makes a unicorn even more master race. They're already pretty darn good. If they want at will mage hand, there are a plethora of options(one level in the appropriate class, rogue trick, not expensive magic item).

True, but any race can have at will Mage Hand if they become a Sorcerer, Magus, or any arcane spellcaster that has access to cantrips since you can basically cast any 0 level spells as many times per day as you want.

Return to “Rule Questions”