Multi-Weapon Fighting Is Broken

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Strill

Multi-Weapon Fighting Is Broken

Postby Strill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:44 am

Am I missing something or can you get a ridiculous number of attacks?

A Greatsword in your saddle rack
Four spiked horseshoes
Two shortswords with horn magic
A Quarterstaff in your mouth

With multi-weapon fighting, that comes out to nine attacks. One main-hand attack with the greatsword, and eight offhand attacks, all at a -2 penalty since all the offhand attacks are light. Surely that's not how this actually works is it?

Solitary Performance

Re: Multi-Weapon Fighting Is Broken

Postby Solitary Performance » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:24 am

On paper, theoretically, and that's not taking in account the many levels to take both Mulitweapon Fighting, and the two unicorn feats for the dual wielding swords (Practiced Horn Magic and Advanced Horn Magic); if you take anything else other than these feats, you could be pushing extra main-hand swings.
Practicality asks, how are you swinging with all 4 legs, the sword strapped to you, the staff in your mouth, and both short swords in the same combat round?

Strill

Postby Strill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Solitary Performance wrote:On paper, theoretically, and that's not taking in account the many levels to take both Mulitweapon Fighting, and the two unicorn feats for the dual wielding swords (Practiced Horn Magic and Advanced Horn Magic); if you take anything else other than these feats, you could be pushing extra main-hand swings.
You can get that by level three as a Fighter.

Practicality asks, how are you swinging with all 4 legs, the sword strapped to you, the staff in your mouth, and both short swords in the same combat round?

The same way any mutli-armed combatant would. The feat doesn't specify any limits to how many weapons you can attack with.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:49 am

The same way any mutli-armed combatant would. The feat doesn't specify any limits to how many weapons you can attack with.[/quote]
The standard multi-armed combatant doesn't have weapons that go on their feet as well as their hands, either, so they have a means of standing when they unleash a large collection of attacks.

I believe the proper way to sum up your original question is, RAW says yes, you could do that 9 attacks you suggested. I believe RAI would have your pony in the example doing no more than 7 swings, forcing them to have at least two hooves planted to perform the quarterstaff, greatsword, and other two hoof strikes.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

Unless your GM allows you to take abilities normally restricted to monsters, you should not be swinging more than 2 artificial weapons for any reason. I do not recommend this, but your game is your game. I promise to not show up and start judging silently while scowling as you play.

Strill

Postby Strill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 pm

David wrote:Unless your GM allows you to take abilities normally restricted to monsters, you should not be swinging more than 2 artificial weapons for any reason. I do not recommend this, but your game is your game. I promise to not show up and start judging silently while scowling as you play.

Thank you. That's what I was missing.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Note! You can -hold- more than two artificial weapons, just not swing more than two of them in any given round.

For instance, a perfectly normal human could have a dagger in either hand and be wearing spiked armor, that's three weapons right there. He/She hasn't broken any rules until they want to hit someone with both daggers and the spikes as a full attack.

Return to “Rule Questions”