Doppelganger Shapeshifting

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
EquestrianScholar

Re: Doppelganger Shapeshifting

Postby EquestrianScholar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Okay, I understand

Prathen

Postby Prathen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:30 am

I have a question about Dopple Shapeshifting as well, which I figured I'd ask here. The Trait 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing' in the Subtle Change booklet, says you are skilled as hiding as other species. Is that for all everglow fey species? Or just pokykind tribes? I'm not really clear on that.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:38 am

There is normally a -10 penalty to disguise checks when pretending to be a species other than your own. This negates that.

Shachza

Postby Shachza » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:41 am

Two rather specific questions:

1: Can a doppelganger take him/herself as one of his/her alternate forms? Say... a draconic sorceror wants to walk around without the telltale scales of his/her heritage. I can see reasons for (you've met already met yourself a LOT) and reasons against (you're probably not meeting the old, scale-less you at the time you think to acquire the disguise).

2: If a pony has gain a feature but none of its benefits through something like a curse (say, wings but not the ability to fly - in fact they get in the way like an armor check penalty), would a doppelganger taking that pony's form also gain the non-working feature, or would they gain the pony's form without feature?
When dragons in our hearts do fly, is it not right that we should also?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:31 pm

Let's take one at a time.

1: Most polymorph spells require you look like an average member of the given species, meaning not only would it strip you of extra sorcerer parts, but you couldn't choose to have them!

2: Again, most polymorph effects don't let you be that specific. If you are using one that lets you imitate a specific person, then you're all good, otherwise, not.

Shachza

Postby Shachza » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm

So, since we're talking doppelganger shape shifting - which does imitate individuals - and not general polymorph, it sounds like you would copy even permanent-but-possibly-dispellable additions to a pony's form. Just so long as that addition isn't temporary or semi-permanent.

The self-copying thing still sounds like a judgement call, though we are talking about doppelganger shapeshifting.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:39 pm

I'd probably allow it.

Shachza

Postby Shachza » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Wait... What happens if a doppelganger uses their lesser shapechange ability to try and copy a doppelganger who is currently under the effects of its own lesser shapechange?

Does the first doppelganger copy the second's disguise? (Seems unlikely)
Does the first doppelganger get a surprise doppelganger disguise? (Seems more likely, but incredibly strange...)
Or does the first doppelganger simple get an error message - "Too many logic conflicts, cannot copy as intended."???

:rderp:
:laugh:

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Sight is an important part of things. If Bob the Changeling is hiding as Ted, and Joe tries to imitate Bob, he's going to look like Ted too.

Return to “Rule Questions”