Doppelganger Shapeshifting

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Dragonflame

Doppelganger Shapeshifting

Postby Dragonflame » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:31 pm

So my little sister Spiritheart and I were looking through the ponyfinder book, and she's decided to try a doppelganger leatherwing. But she's got a few questions about doppelgangers that I'm having trouble answering. Just to be clear, doppelgangers can't gain the abilities of what they shapeshift into, right? So if her doppel-leatherwing changed shape into a unicorn, it couldn't use the horn magic? And could you please help clarify the doppelganger shapeshifting feats?

I think I understand them correctly, but I'm not sure. Change Shape Lesser only lets the doppel disguise itself as one particular pony. So the look she picks for her doppel is the only pony it can turn into until it gains the higher level feats? Adapt Changling says that doppels can turn into any ponykind. So when getting that feat she could disguise as any type of pony? And Master Changling allows her to become a humanoid. But Master Changling mentions doppels turning into other four legged creatures besides ponies. When are they able to do that?

David
Site Admin

Re: Doppelganger Shapeshifting

Postby David » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:49 pm

It works as per alter self, which means you can gain the following abilities: darkvision 60 feet, low-light vision, scent, and swim 30 feet.

Catch, note that flight is not on this list, so doppels that couldn't fly to start can't gain the ability through it.

The rest you seem to have right, though I see no mention of four legged things in master changeling.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Master Changling: While infiltrating pony society is your people’s specialty,
you have branched out, and can now imitate humanoids
as well.
Prerequisite: Ponykind, Doppelganger, Adept
Changeling, character level 9th.
Benefit: You may imitate any humanoid that you
have seen of small or medium size, gaining +10
to Disguise checks to appear as that particular
person. This works otherwise like your usual
shapeshifting ability. You do not suffer
Disguise penalties for imitating people of other
genders or races. While imitating a humanoid,
you use humanoid magic item slots(and enjoy
hands!). You may not employ items with your
mouth while imitating a humanoid.If you are
wearing things on your hands on returning to a
pony or other four-legged shape
, they fall to the
square you occupy.

"... or other four-legged shape"^ That's what it says in our copy of the book. So I was wondering if doppelgangers could turn into other creatures beside ponies and humanoids.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:24 pm

'on returning' is the key part. It's a safety catch.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

David wrote:'on returning' is the key part. It's a safety catch.

Oh, ok. So doppels can only disguise as ponykind and humanoid with their shapeshifting?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:41 am

Yep. I considered allowing them to imitate any fey, but, oh my, so many options! A GM that allowed it wouldn't get any severe frowns from me, but I opted against it for the default.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Alright. :) Thanks!

Changing Pony

Postby Changing Pony » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:56 am

Hmm... Maybe there's room for another feat (at the same level?) which would allow a Doppelgänger to shift into another quadruped form? It wouldn't be game-breaking, particularly since it costs one of the character's oh-so-valuable feat choices, and there'd already be some built-in restrictions in the same manner as with the Alter Self and such. It would make for interesting master spies, able to infiltrate Cloven enclaves or Griffon Aeries...

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:59 am

I have no objection to such an idea. Perhaps, one day, we'll do a book all about them crazy doppelgangers. Until then, houserules are a great way to bridge the gap to suit your individual table.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 am

I totally wouldn't be against an eventual book all about us crazy dopplegangers, but there are others more deserving of books before us... largely because, in the theme of words from the musical, "Annie Get Your Gun", and probably a million videos across the wide Internets:
"Anything you can do, we can probably do too; we can do anything almost as good as you"

Return to “Rule Questions”