Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Handed Weapons Questions.

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
gamekid

Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Handed Weapons Questions.

Postby gamekid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 pm

I was wondering what the rules were for Two-Weapon Fighting (or "dual wielding") for anyone without the Practiced Horn Magic feat. Can it even be done without the rules of Relaxed physics coming into play? Or is Two-Weapon fighting just something that can't be done.

Can characters without the Practice Horn magic feat wield Two-Handed Weapons? And lastly, is there a way for a Pony Character to take advantage of a One-Handed weapon to add half his/her strength to an attack in the way a Fingered character can by wielding it with two hands, or is that something lost to a Pony Character?

Dragonflame

Re: Two-Weapon Fighting and Two-Handed Weapons Questions.

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:16 pm

gamekid wrote:I was wondering what the rules were for Two-Weapon Fighting (or "dual wielding") for anyone without the Practiced Horn Magic feat. Can it even be done without the rules of Relaxed physics coming into play? Or is Two-Weapon fighting just something that can't be done.

Can characters without the Practice Horn magic feat wield Two-Handed Weapons? And lastly, is there a way for a Pony Character to take advantage of a One-Handed weapon to add half his/her strength to an attack in the way a Fingered character can by wielding it with two hands, or is that something lost to a Pony Character?

I'm pretty sure dual wielding can be done with the feats Strong Jaw and Iron Jaw.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Two spiked horseshoes.
Spiked horse shoe + weapon rack.
Double weapon in mouth with strong jaw.
Weapon in mouth + spiked horseshoe

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

gamekid wrote:Can characters without the Practice Horn magic feat wield Two-Handed Weapons?

As well as a person with one hand can.
And lastly, is there a way for a Pony Character to take advantage of a One-Handed weapon to add half his/her strength to an attack in the way a Fingered character can by wielding it with two hands, or is that something lost to a Pony Character?

If they have strong jaw, and the weapon can be wielded two handed, and they aren't using a weapon rack or spiked horse shoes in the same round, they can claim two handed bonuses.

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Do ponies with the Strong Jaw feat take the same Two-Weapon Fighting Penalties as Humanoids normally do? If they do, what is the bonus that Iron Jaw gives for "Double Weapons held in your jaws, gain all the benefits of using a weapon two handed"? Am I misunderstanding what 'Double Weapons' mean?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Iron Jaw is going away.
Strong Jaw with a double weapon works just the same as a human holding a double weapon in every way.
Double weapons are things that have two ends, allowing one weapon to be two-weapon fought with.

Scottbert

Postby Scottbert » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am

The first time I tried to get a Ponyfinder game going (with the original race book), the first thing one of my fellow players wanted to play was a unicorn rogue that telekinetically dual-wields daggers. The game fell apart before we had a single session, but that put the unicorn TK rules to the forefront of my mind. I'm glad to see that in the new book, having 2/3 feats is no longer useless, but another problem sticks out to me:

That unicorn TWF rogue still can't happen. They need to focus on Int for attacking, but with a -2 Dex penalty, they need to put enough points for a 17 in Dex to qualify for two-weapon fighting. Either they're left with a low telekinetic attack score from putting their points in Dex, or they just can't do it.

Is unicorns with telekinetic TWF (aside from Rangers and Slayers) a concept that's not meant to be supported? If not, is there something I'm missing, or do we need some sort of feat option to make this possible?

Seraphem

Postby Seraphem » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:09 am

It is odd making it only use INT. And can impact some classes. though personally love it using INT since magus is my favorite class, and this is custom built for them.

But I could see DEX factoring into how good they can use it as well. Maybe, using whichever of the two is higher? OH, or better idea. Since INT is replacing STR for the attack, then simply allow DEX to replace the INT in any place where it would replace STR anyway. Such as weapon Finesse or an agile weapon

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:11 am

You just said it. It works fantastically for classes that lessen the burden of two weapon fighting. To be honest, those classes can outperform others at the task by a wide margin, because dexterity really isn't the stat you want to max out to excel at it. A strong but clumsier ranger will out-do a dextrous but weak rogue most of the time. It's something of an ongoing joke that rogues get the least love of all the classes in Pathfinder.

Putting this aside, a quick google says it's only 15 dexterity for two-weapon, which isn't bank busting in difficulty to squeeze in. After that, belts of +dex can help you keep up with the rising cost of the later feats.

Seraphem

Postby Seraphem » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:31 am

Well 17 for Improved TWF, and a few other TWF boosting feats.

But, as a rogue, even without the attack, you'd still want DEX to be rather as high as you can get it, just for the bonuses to saves and skills.

Return to “Rule Questions”