Bardic Inspire Courage Competence Bonus Question:

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
Sapare

Bardic Inspire Courage Competence Bonus Question:

Postby Sapare » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 am

I know this is a Pathfinder and not ponyfinder thing, but I assume people here might still be able to help me:

The Bard text here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-cl ... ourage-Su-

States: An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

But the same webside on the Common Terms list states this:
Such a bonus may apply on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, caster level checks, or any other checks to which a bonus relating to level or skill ranks would normally apply. It does not apply on ability checks, damage rolls, initiative checks, or other rolls that aren’t related to a character’s level or skill ranks.

Am I stupid or are they contradicting themselves? How can I get a plus 1+ competence bonus on weapon damage rolls if it can not modify damage rolls?

brokenimage321

Re: Bardic Inspire Courage Competence Bonus Question:

Postby brokenimage321 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 am

Have you checked the Pathfinder errata? They might have already corrected this...

Sapare

Postby Sapare » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:26 am

Where would I find this errata? I checked the 5th printing of pathfinder core rulebook and it uses the same text as the webside, but the Bard did not get a rework with Unchained, so if this is out of date I would not know where to find an updated version of this. Googling this no one else brings this up, making me believe I am misreading it, but I don't see how.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 am

Specific trumps generic. 'competence bonuses do not apply to damage rolls' is a generic rule. 'This does' is more specific and takes priority.

brokenimage321

Postby brokenimage321 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 am

To answer your question re: errata: try googling. I've never tried to find it myself, so I can't say.

Return to “Rule Questions”