As per Physical Tribe

Have Pathfinder or Ponyfinder rules questions, ask here!
BreadProduct

As per Physical Tribe

Postby BreadProduct » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:29 pm

What does "As Per Physical Tribe" mean in the tribes books?

David
Site Admin

Re: As per Physical Tribe

Postby David » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 pm

The physical tribe is the half of the pony that replaces unique destiny/bonus feat at first level, or just your plain standard earth-bound pony if nothing else.

Pegasus, Unicorn, and zebra are other examples. So if you're a zebra doppelganger and see 'as per physical', it means, see the zebra stats, use that.

Sapare

Postby Sapare » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:51 pm

I be honest, still a bit unsure on the ruling of this. When referring to the physical tribe, are we using this only for the speed/attributes or also their traits? Does an Antean unicorn get Horn Magic/Steady focus (and by extension qualify for most of the unicorn Feats)?

And on a tangent to that for the Antean : (earth-bound use these modifications as their
racial modifiers).

Does that mean the earth bound Antean attribute is +4. +2 - 2 -2 overall or am I still applying it to their attribute modifiers? Because I don't fully understand the balance, wouldn't a Zebra Antean have +6 total attributes and an earth-bound only +2 total(If you are replacing not applying in their case).

This might really just be my lack of comprehension but my friend wasn't much surer on the ruling.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 pm

An antean unicorn is a unicorn. They enjoy a horn and all its benefits. They do not have earth-bound, they gave that up to be a unicorn.

Antean are also very rare, as noted, and should be accepted only as the GM accepts. They are not a 'standard' race at all.

Sapare

Postby Sapare » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Is the default Antean on page 100 simply the template of what its skills would be if you picked it to be earthbound?

That might seem obvious from the "(earth-bound use these modifications as their racial modifiers).", but I don't understand why that note is part of the attributes section, it makes it seem like it is referring to the attributes specifically. It is also not listed for any other race (like Chaos Hunter) who I assume, their template is also the default earthbound. I think I get what it is trying to do now, but the way it is presented actually makes it more confusing.

If it is using the earthbound as a base template, why doesn't it say 30 speed, yes the speed is based on the race you pick, but so is Earth-bound. I think simply giving us the base template of modifications would have worked, OR giving us giving us what an Earth-bound Antean traits are supposed to be would have worked. But now its this weird mixture of being half of each, some of the traits refer us to a physical tribe but traits like Earth-bound do not imply clearly they would be removed.

Low light vision, does that change based on the race I am picking(leatherwing) or not? If yes, why isn't it under the earthbound parts of the stats. If it does not, why?

Generally, if the stat line is 4 2 -2 -2, I think the Attribute section should simply say that, the text referring to physical tribe explicitly does not affect that part of its stats and makes it sound like you are supposed to apply them to the attribute traits of each physical tribe.

And if it is supposed to be applied, I don't know why the eartbound template is there, because obviously the attributes are general, not earthbound based.(Which would have been 4StG, 4Con, -4 Dex. when applied to an Earthbound)

I know it might come over as me making a big deal out of something minor, but I swear this twice as confusing as it should be due to the text given at the attribute section

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:45 am

Antean is the only spiritual tribe that offers such an attribute line. I will avoid that in the future. It will be the only one.

This only applies to the attributes.

Return to “Rule Questions”