Skill Challenges

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
heroquestelf

Skill Challenges

Postby heroquestelf » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

I have a little girl who is interested in running a Ponyfinder game, and is looking for a character firmly ensconced in Equestria, possibly based in Ponyville or Canterlot--which I'm fine with. But where I'm having a challenge building the game for her is I know she has little to no interest in combat. Now, obviously the game is going to have a little combat, but I know that too much is going to turn her off. So, much of the game is going to be based on Skill challenges and such.

My little girl is playing a Unicorn Wizard (or maybe Sorcerer, the jury is still out) who specializes in Ice Magic. Her character hook is that she's a BAKER. She makes cookies and cakes, but her specialty is candy--specifically MINT flavored cookies & candy. (Think York Peppermint Patties, Grasshoppers & Thin Mints). The big thing about her stuff is that she infuses her cookies and candy with her ice magic, so that the mint stuff is not only chemically cold--it's physically cold--ie a bag of her peppermints could be used to keep a cooler cold.

So I'm looking for a few things... one thing is how do I take the skill listed above and put it into game terms?

Also, could you guys suggest some good skill challenges to use in a game like this?
:duck:

heroquestelf

Re: Skill Challenges

Postby heroquestelf » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:19 pm

I had to share this image... my little girl made it and I was so proud of her I had to share.

Wintergreen

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 am

It depends hugely on what's being done. Bad guy tries to run away, athetics and/or acrobatics to keep up, then an intimidation or diplomacy to convince them they're being a huge meanie face!

You will also benefit from, at times, just roleplaying more with small children. While challenging them is fun and can help them develop, you can keep them in the story by simply letting them play. Describe the scene, let them interact with it. Do the dice rolls in your head, basically and keep the narrative flowing. Describe things in fun ways and keep the small people motivated and present.

I hope that helps!

heroquestelf

Postby heroquestelf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:25 am

I was talking to a gamer friend of mine yesterday about the game and he threw a curve ball at me that I absolutely loved... I have my plotline now. She is into mint and ice, so I'm going to have her going on a quest to discover a magical recipe that will allow her to make mint chocolate chip ice cream!!

I do have one remaining question... when she's doing her thing in the bake shop, would it be a Profession skill check or a Craft skill check?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Craft(Baking) would cover the artistry of cooking. Profession(baker) covers all the practical day to days of running a bakery and making money with it. Both are applicable, different angles to the same end goal.

JGrayGaming

Postby JGrayGaming » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:25 pm

In playing Pathfinder with my own kids, I simplified things for my daughter. We were playing using the Beginner's Box and I made her a fairy character (not supported by the box, sadly). One of the things I did was simplify.

In this case, I would just make one skill: Baker. Have it cover everything having to do with baking (in this case, the Profession (baker) and Craft (baking) skills). Heck, I'd even throw in the ability to bake magic cakes to some level (akin to Craft (alchemy)).

Return to “Stablemastery”