Sorcery

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
Sun Dial

Sorcery

Postby Sun Dial » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:07 pm

So one of the things that bothers me about the Ponyfinder setting is that, for Sorcerer's supposedly being more common for a species with only a mouth and no hands, there is no pony tribe that gives a charisma boost outside of Ancient Sea Horse, which has its own flavor issues if every Sorcerer is going to be one.*

The big thing about ponies is that they always get the Wisdom bonus. I propose that a change be made to Earth Ponies so that they get a CHR bonus, which lends more to the jovial tight nit family nature they have. This also makes more sense as Illiana started as an Earth Pony, and it would provide more incentive for people to play Earth Ponies.

Anyways, that's what I'll be doing in all my campaigns' now.

Edit: *I realize Short Legs also get a bonus, but they don't even exist in all campaigns. But if Earth ponies got CHR, it actually devolves nicely as their are two options each for the three mental stats.

Steel_Prism

Re: Sorcery

Postby Steel_Prism » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 pm

This doesn't make any sense to me, all you are asking for is one of the pony races to be the best pick for that class. Just because you like earth ponies more then sea ponies isn't any reason to demand a big change like that.

All this will do is help those who want to power game as it gives them a clear choice of who to be. Did you stop to think why no race has this bonus is so all of them are the best pick for sorcery so as a race as a whole all of them are as good as each other.

Do as you wish in you games as a GM you can but don't see the point in saying changes like this need to be made to the book. i never had issues with others playing earth ponies but its up to the person who they want to play.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:03 am

But Sorcerer's aren't the only one to use CHR, and Ancient Sea Horses are Stupid powerful, (Not regular Sea Horses). Ancient Sea Horses, for the cost of a feat, get +2 CHR, Darkvision 60, +1 to attack and damge while even in just an inch of water and +1 to all water spells. Like, no DM is ever gonna allow a player to use them.

And while I'll take the argument that it encourages all classes to be Sorcerer's (and I do like that idea), I still find it awkward that no one is going to play a bard.

But here's the problem. You say it encourages all the ponies to be Sorcerer's, but why would you play a Sorcerer when you can play a Unicorn Wizard? Or a Cleric where the Wisdom bonus matters? People are gonna play less Pony Sorcerer's because their is no incentive to play them, and while the Unity bloodline is nice, its not close to being overpowered enough to provide incentive to play Sorcerer's.

Also.... there is NO reason to play bards. Bards demand Dex and CHR, and most ponies lose dex and none provide CHR, so the two classes that their should exist the most of, make no mechanical sense.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 am

Just because a race does not statistically back a class, doesn't mean the class doesn't work for the race. I've seen first hand the worth of an earth pony bard (the Roll20 I'm in has one), and I'm kinda a pegasus [Doppleganger] bard in the books as well. Neither of these boost charisma, and the couple times I've brought out a version of Sol for a game, he's been 16ish charisma anyway @lv1 with point buy.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

You can make anything work. I've done full random of stats, race and class and made it work.

What I'm talking about is that the Flavor doesn't match the mechanics. I'd be fine with no CHR bonus... if Bards and Sorcerer's weren't flavor wise making up some of the largest amount of classes in Lore. The book says that Sorcerer's are supposed to be more common then Wizard... but why would you EVER play a Sorcerer Unicorn over a Wizard Unicorn? You can always make things work. What I'm saying is the Mechanics don't fit the flavor.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:15 am

You don't, ICly, choose a class like sorcerer. It's hoisted upon you. You don't get to go 'oh wait, my stats that I can't see say I would be better off spending lots of money going to a magic college instead of using this innate magic I was born into and could learn for free!' That makes no thematic sense.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:50 pm

What it comes down to is the two sort of players you get

Player 1
Wants to get the bests stats so they can get the best out of of their class so will pick a race that works with their class.

Player 2
Has a story in mind and a race will be the main point to them and class is second.

I find at lest in my games most of my players are number 2

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:02 pm

I mean, there are such thing as dwarf sorcerers. Really, there are!

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm

As to elven paladins perhaps?

Macabre Haze

Postby Macabre Haze » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Steel_Prism wrote:What it comes down to is the two sort of players you get

Player 1
Wants to get the bests stats so they can get the best out of of their class so will pick a race that works with their class.

Player 2
Has a story in mind and a race will be the main point to them and class is second.

I find at lest in my games most of my players are number 2

Well, I don't fall really into either of those. I'm actually Player 3, I play a character who is both thematically and mechanically sound via the use of ceaseless observations of What I can do, what my enemy can do, what the world expects me to do, and more.

A 'Sorcerer' might be forced upon a character.. but at the same time it isn't. just because someone is talented at music, doesn't mean they're going to be doggedly persuing musical arts. Same way with a sorcerer. You're just simply talented at magic, but even then if you don't focus your efforts, the well of ability shivels up being a ghost of what you could have been.

Perhaps your training in other pursuits dwarfed your ability to fully express your bloodline, and you only aquired the feats of the bloodline. Or maybe just the trait of a bloodline. Maybe it doesn't even show up at all, and your flank forever blank. Which reminds me, I need to go do some designs..

Return to “Stablemastery”