Phoenix Wolves - Uses?

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
LegendOfMoriad

Phoenix Wolves - Uses?

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:38 pm

I've found a distinct lack of representation of Phoenix Wolves in Ponyfinder. I can accept that they are a very unusual and rare race, but of mention saddens me a little. I found them interesting from the moment I saw them, to the point where I used one as a major NPC in a campaign I was running at the time. He has become a favorite character for my players, an Oracle of Flame/Loremaster that gives advice, mission instructions, and backup when necessary. I actually upset player when he took a fall, and is currently recuperating.

Ashe: http://goo.gl/zmeSwt

Has anyone else put Phoenix Wolves to use? Any memorable tales?

EquestrianScholar

Re: Phoenix Wolves - Uses?

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm not using Phoenix wolves as a player race, but I do plan on bringing them in as an NPC race for my campaign. On why I didn't allow them as a player race? Well for much the same reason as why I didn't allow Chaos Warrior, Sun Cats, and Leatherwings, I found them out of place for my campaign and since I am running the setting as actually being Equestria I felt Phoenix Wolves as being overall out of place for a mostly herbivore racial groups with a possible exception being griffins.

Unlike the other races though I took out I do plan on Phoenix wolves making an appearance for the party to meet.

Steel_Prism

Postby Steel_Prism » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:48 pm

In my campaign I have a Human and a dwarf as well as pony races. The Human does get a lot of crap as it is set after the fall of the empire then dwarf is fine as they were common in the empire.

LegendOfMoriad

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:51 pm

I'll admit, one of the advantages I found to Phoenix Wolves is the fact that I'm not running in an Equestrian setting. Horses are rare enough, let alone pastel miniature ones. I was able to incorporate Ashe into the setting without trouble, even using the original Phoenix Wolf story. I simply failed to state that the mad mage that made them happened to be a unicorn.

In a further campaign someone else ran, another player decided to play a Phoenix Wolf Magus. There's something amusing about seeing them deliver a touch spell via bite attack. More than half the players found out where the race comes from now, and several of them have picked up the main book.

I've yet to run a proper Equestrian game, due to lack of people interested in playing pony races. Despite that, I've managed to make use of several races and items presented in the various books. Children of Bones necromancer is next on the list.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:39 pm

I currently have 9 players, with a the plan for the characters to be divided into two parties with the help of my co-DM. To prevent confusion with this it has been agreed between my co-DM, myself, and my players to have two seperate threads for the campaign. Hopefully this all works out, one thing that has helped was that I pitched the roleplay to the members of MLP Forums. Phoenix Wolves may well be one of the races that will make an appearance, along with other races.

It is actually my first time DMing a Pathfinder game, as well as trying to mesh the mechanics of the system with that of Equestria itself, no humanoid races. I have also created two additional races, the Deer and the Kirin. Funny thing is that Kirin was supposed to be a replacement for the Leatherwings since I had always felt Bat Ponies were a misnamed race since I saw more draconic traits then bat traits for Luna's royal guard. I also revised the Doppelganger to more closely follow after that show's Changlings, also removing them as a Ponykind race and having them share relation with Flutterponies in background.

LegendOfMoriad

Postby LegendOfMoriad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:22 pm

I wish you luck on your first Pathfinder DMing experience. I've never co-DMed before, but that's a failing on my part. My campaigns are my babies, and I won't let anyone else touch them.

Return to “Stablemastery”