My little Fundraiser: marathon game. Advice wanted

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
OldSchool

My little Fundraiser: marathon game. Advice wanted

Postby OldSchool » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

So I'm currently one of the officers of the UNT brony club and we're thinking of doing a live stream pony finder event to raise money for the club. While this is a bit of a plug for that, it's more for advice. I'm going to be the DM for one of two parties for this event and I'm going to be running pony finder (or a modified version of it.) It's going to be a 12 hour long game (no date yet) so I'll need something big. I'm thinking of running one of two games and would like input from you guys. Either a standard pony finder game based around the civil war starting on the day of Illian's death. Lots of fighting urban combat, not too much plot. The other game that's tempting me is running a pony finder version of a Call of Cthulhu campaign. This would be fun and unique and take place in basically 1920s version of Evergleam. Comparing the two choices I've found a few pros and cons. For the civil war it would be using regular pony finder and we'de have a few players who know how to play. But some members will probably be first timers. Downside, I'd have to put the game together a bit more from scratch. With the Cthulhu game it would be tougher and no one would know exactly how to play from start, but I could just use a call of Cthulhu module to run it. Also it would be an experience to remember! So what do you guys think?

Alzrius

Re: My little Fundraiser: marathon game. Advice wanted

Postby Alzrius » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:37 am

Just off the top of my head, the civil war event is likely to be easier to fill up a twelve-hour block, simply because combat in Pathfinder tends to be quite a time-sink (just in case you're worried about making it twelve hours).

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Alternative idea. You could run through Royal Decree, followed by Tower of Misery as the newly graduated students march off to their first adventure outside the academy. Depending on the time left, you could have an elemental unbalance erupt in Arcysus, requiring the brave warriors to mount a defense and safeguard the panicked populace against the elemental assault.

OldSchool

Postby OldSchool » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Not bad ideas. I've been looking through all of my 3rd edition and pathfinder modules I could find for something close to the civil war idea, unfortunately I'm not finding anything useful enough. I'm going to go back a bit further into my 2nd edition modules and see if there's anything good there. But not too likely. The closest I found was the Crimson Throne path, which involves a capital city. The death of a King, and struggle for power. Unfortunately, it immediately swerves DEEP into murder mystery and avoids any thing even approaching what I was hoping for. At the moment my old DM and I are looking over the Call of Cthulhu stuff and thinking we could come up with something really cool by just using the d20 Cthulhu books and splicing their stuff into ponyfinder. I ran the idea by a few people in the group that will be involved (most of them) and they seem really fascinated by the My Little Cthulhu option. Of course if that doesn't pan out, I really like your idea David, as those two adventures would probably work well for an extended session if I can't pull this ponyfinder with call of cthulhu off. If I succeed I'd be happy to share any sort of sanity/madness or rules we come up with among you guys.

Return to “Stablemastery”