Controlling Weather

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
Sun Dial

Controlling Weather

Postby Sun Dial » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:02 pm

So I haven't been able to comb the book completely as PDF reading is slow until my book gets here, so this may be a pointless question.

However, I haven't been able to find a solid explanation for the Pegasinan control of the weather during the time of the empire when they still controlled it. How much of the weather of the everglow is controlled by them? Do they only bring in rain when needed and if so do they have to go and find thunder clouds and bring them to where the rain is needed. They can obviously buck clouds, but that's not exactly that effective with cloud wind speed since you'll clear a sky for a whole 25 minutes. Are there whole flocks of weather patrol ponies? Can they create clouds themselves? If not on an individual basis, maybe a large weather factory style?

Cloud cities obviously would be difficult, but what about Pegasi Nomads that live on clouds and go down to get food and just travel that way. Is that a thing that happens, or even could happen? When the Pegasi lost control of the weather, exactly how much change was there? Did it just mean that huge flocks of pegasi didn't exist to make sure a city stayed in blue sky all day?

David
Site Admin

Re: Controlling Weather

Postby David » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:44 am

Most cities have to take the weather as it comes, as not all pegasi become talented weather ponies, and not every city has a population large enough to field a team of them to wrest control of the weather away from mother nature entirely.

A single talented pony may keep the sky clear over a party or nudge in some heavy rain clouds over a single farm, but to see to the needs of a whole community is definitely a team effort. Working in a group, controlling the wind becomes possible, stopping or starting great currents in the air.

A community in need may send word, and money, to another community that does have a weather team to get relief from what ails them.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 am

Large Teams then, with the advantage being that the cities with the Rich and Noble ponies are going to have large groups of Pegasi to control the weather above that city. With coordinated efforts, large groups can even affect what kind of fronts they're catching, but that takes lots of planning and knowledge of the more complex parts of weather and lots of Pegasi.

On the flip side, Air Nomads of Ponies become not only an acting force on the pony cities, it becomes a very powerful and much needed force. Fly to one small town, make sure the farmers have enough rain, or help prevent flooding. Move onto the next, and so on. So you have mobile cities of Flocks of Pegasi making the rounds around the country to help with weather around.

This of course must either come from the Farmers pockets or be subsidized by the Empire... depending on how important the crops are to its growth.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:32 am

I love the idea of a tribe of pegasi traveling from place to place in small clusters of clouds. :)
Kind of like the old nomadic tribes that used to cover our world.

"Muffin looks up as a large shadow passes overhead. Seeing the outlying flyers swirling around a large cloud he smiles as he knows that this tribe moving its members north means that winter is finally on its way out."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:22 am

To present the counter-coin, a lone pegasus that is also a talented druid may be able to inflict a lot of change on the weather all on his/her own, but the teachings of druidism don't always coincide with helping communities, especially larger ones.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 am

Thus the Uncontrollable weather of the forests. Where clouds move all on their own without great flocks/herds of pegasi to reign them in.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:23 am

Watching a Winter episode of a certain show got me thinking...

Maybe a house rule kind of thing but there are the Vrock and a handful of other critters that if there are a certain number of hit dice of that critter doing the same thing they can make unusual effects. In the case of the Vrock they get more damage dice for their dance, there is something that in a group can make a lightning bolt, why not say that with so many hit dice of pegasi in one area they can start using weather control type spells. Just as a house rule kind of thing.

Just off the top of my head and using a weather staff as a guide...
Fog cloud (3 pegasi)
Gust of wind (3 pegasi)
Wind wall (3 pegasi)
Ice storm (5 pegasi)
Sleet storm (5 pegasi)
Control weather (7 pegasi)

Maybe consider the caster level to be the same as the highest level pegasi in the team and maybe a +1 caster per two pegasi.
Casting at minimum levels if the team isn't high enough.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I can dig it, though beware, 4-6 is achievable by a random adventuring party.

I'd also remove the part about minimum level, meaning they could cast it even lower, which would limit its effect/range/etc.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:42 pm

David wrote:I can dig it, though beware, 4-6 is achievable by a random adventuring party.

I'd also remove the part about minimum level, meaning they could cast it even lower, which would limit its effect/range/etc.

It is possible but my experience has been that even with parties I have been friends with for ages, looking for maximum effect in battle, etc, I can't even get two people to take twinned feats let alone all agree on one race...

The hard part about having a spell go off at less than it's minimum caster level is watching the poor DM get out the calculator and try to figure out how to reduce a spell correctly. I've seen some books that have it all laid out how to reduce or improve it, I've seen 1st level fireballs and 9th level magic missiles but those books have been 3rd party or back in 1st and 2nd edition...

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Most of the spells you used are a clean x per level sorts that won't care what level you sling them out, no?

Return to “Stablemastery”