So what do we know about Everglow [Meta]

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
Changing Pony

So what do we know about Everglow [Meta]

Postby Changing Pony » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:43 pm

So, looking at this from a campaign/ world-expanding perspective, what do we know to be true about Everglow as a setting?

A few things I noticed right away:

1) Fey are not only prevalent and present, but rather predominant.
2) Races/ primary inhabitants are what others would usually consider to be animals.
3) Magic is not just common, it's basically a part of everyday life. (disputable)
4) we know that humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, etc. exist, but they are not as present as in other settings.

These are just three things off the top of my head.

Considering #1, I personally would include the Feyborn as an optional race for those who want to be bipedal.

I'm essentially opening this thread for brainstorming purposes, and as a potential GM aid :)

:eeyup: :eeyup:
-Changer

David
Site Admin

Re: So what do we know about Everglow [Meta]

Postby David » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Do feyborn exist outside that book?

Magic is fairly easy to bump into, but aside from unicorns, no one uses it day by day as a commoner.

TaliaKirana

Postby TaliaKirana » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the various elemental-blooded humans (Ifrit, Oread, Sylph, and Undine) are also more common in Everglow. (Dunno about Tiefling or Aasimar.)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:10 pm

I would sincerely support that notion. Everglow is all cozy with elemental powers, so elemental-blood is a very thematic thing.

Changing Pony

Postby Changing Pony » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:39 am

The only hesitation I have with regards to the elemental-blooded humans is their strong leanings towards genies (in most of Paizo's renditions); although that is mainly a matter of description and depiction and not really anything about the race per se. The races' stats are solid enough, but they might need a redefining description.

As far as Feyborn existing outside of that book, I'm not certain; I think Rite Publishing has something in their 'in the company of..' series, but I can't be certain. I do know that EZG gave Fat Goblin's Feyborn a good review.

As a side note for building encounters, applying the 'Fey Creature' template from Bestiary 3 could help maintain a whimsical feel :)

Changing Pony

Postby Changing Pony » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 am

David wrote:Magic is fairly easy to bump into, but aside from unicorns, no one uses it day by day as a commoner.

I thought as such as well, which is why I added the tag 'disputable' :D

That being said, magic is far more common than in any old-school kind of setting- which is not a bad thing at all, imo; it just means that the world is full of wonder and fantasy :)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 am

Changing> Agreed on the magic level.

As for genies, there is nothing to say they aren't around, but I would allow for elemental blooded without such specific background.

TaliaKirana

Postby TaliaKirana » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 am

I suspect in this setting, the elemental blooded humans might simply be a result of ancestors being exposed to powerful elemental magic.

Changing Pony

Postby Changing Pony » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 am

TaliaKirana wrote:I suspect in this setting, the elemental blooded humans might simply be a result of ancestors being exposed to powerful elemental magic.

I agree. In Golarion (Paizo's 'base' setting), the 'element-kin' are- from a flavor standpoint- tied to/ influenced by the various Genies (Ifrit/ Efreeti being an obvious example). Of course, the baseline from the ARG doesn't have to be genie-kin (Sulis being the exception, of course). For Everglow & its history, it can be revised and re-flavored as needed.
Golarion has vast swaths of regions where their history used bound genies and whatnot; Everglow certainly would have some genies here and there, but I rather think it wouldn't be as strong of an influence as amongst the Kelishites or in Ancient Osirion.

I kinda feel bad for some of the other denizens of the Inner planes- the Genies get all the attention, and the rest kinda get... forgotten. :fsad:

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

The ponies themselves are elemental creatures. Most of their tribes are embodiments of some force or another, which shaped them from their basic 'proto' pony selves into the tribes we all recognize. Air, Negative energy, Darkness, Earth, Water, even nebulous energies as pure force have a representative. We're just missing a fire tribe, but maybe they got stomped during the forming of the empire, we may never know, or will we...

Return to “Stablemastery”