Converting Published Modules or Adventure Paths

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
Qralloq

Converting Published Modules or Adventure Paths

Postby Qralloq » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am

Hey all:

Has anyone looked at any published material and thought seriously about adapting the adventure for use with Ponyfinder? If so, what made you excited about using that adventure, or made you frown :fbad: and put it aside as not being 'pony-worthy'?

Thanks!

David
Site Admin

Re: Converting Published Modules or Adventure Paths

Postby David » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 am

I've been shamelessly using Paizo adventure paths to playtest the book. I'm currently running Shattered Star and it's working out well. Of course, this was before the campaign setting was even finished, so these are ponies in Golarion, not Everglow.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:37 pm

In my thought-line and opinion, as we are not those ponies, is that pathfinder adventures should work fine for ponyfinder use, so long as the DM (and/or players) can mush a reason that validates pony characters.
This might mean making notes as DM for what to change from the wrote adventure, some notes for what the pony player can do that a more-normal one couldn't (like inherent flight, or natural disguises), or things like that. Likewise, it can be handwaved with D&D Rule #0, where the specifics are fudged for the sake of enjoying the game.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 am

Flight becomes a thing at a fairly low level, so shouldn't derail too many adventures past the first handful. Even low level people could grab a potion of fly.

My excuse for Golarion was simple, they came from the Verduran forest, around where the First World(where Fey hang out) is strongest. They were an experiment on the part of the Pathfinders, trying out a new sort of recruit. Who's to say fey can't do some pathfinding? It's worked out fairly well so far.

OldSchool

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:41 am

I'm currently using the Pathfinder KingMaker adventure for my players, and it seems to be going well. Its got lots of wood lands filled with mysteries and strange monsters, and the players are supposed to explore and chart the region and eventually build a town. I'm treating it kind of like the Everfree Forest. Thankfully there's not too much that needs to be converted, other than a few tiny bits here and there. It seems to be very doable. I'd be careful about any campaign that starts out with too much international intrigue or politics since that will require more editing and changes. In this case the forest is a nice isolated region of game world, where the players are going to be receiving minimal help from the civilized lands until book 2 or 3 of the adventure, giving me plenty of time to edit before they get there. I think a few spots of importance to watch for would be stuff like weather. EX: The original module has a city decimated by a tornado, in ponyfinder players will ask "Why didn't the Pegasi try to stop it?" So then you have to come up with excuses like, there being not enough pegasi in the city or the storm being too strong or something, while a problem you can manage around, its something you'd need to catch in advanced, other wise you have to say "not enough pegasi live here" and now you have to change the population of that town to fix it. Just some advice based on what I've seen in the past.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm running a game of The Emerald Spire, except instead of being set in a Hellknight fort, it became the Crystal Empire, with a somewhat harried Cadance having to run a very tight ship due to the savaged infrastructure of her land due to waking up from a 1000 years or so of just not being there.

It's working out quite smoothly.

Return to “Stablemastery”