Pony Cavaliers, and Shields.

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
lonewolf23k

Pony Cavaliers, and Shields.

Postby lonewolf23k » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I'm wondering if there's going to be some work done to cover the concept of a Pony Cavalier, since they have no need for an actual Mount. Maybe a Class ability that lets them ignore the -2 penalty for using Saddle Racks with Slashing and Bludgeoning weapons?

On a related note, I think forcing Ponies to wield Shields with their mouths is rather silly, since the Campaign book clearly shows a Pony fighter with a Shield strapped to his foreleg.

David
Site Admin

Re: Pony Cavaliers, and Shields.

Postby David » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Just so I can get a quick peek, page #?

Seraphem

Postby Seraphem » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Really hope so as well. one of the things I was legitimately disappointed not to see in the book was something addressing pony Cavaliers. Though what -2? I don't see that anywhere in the saddle racks description, but do see they added that anything in it functions as if you were mounted while charging, so that clears up one of the biggest issues.

Personal idea, and houserule I'm considering should my game have a cavalier show up. is instead of a mount, pony cavaliers can bond with one of their companions. When this companion is riding you. (Requires sizes to be compatible for this) he gains the use of any of your cavalier, mount based class abilities. As you both share any mounted feats either of you have.

While without a rider, the Cavalier can consider themselves as being mounted for the purpose of any mounted combat feat that does not require the rider and mount to be separate entities to work. So can use Ride-By-Attack, or Trample, but not the basic mounted Combat bonus.

As to shields, yeah that is odd.

And it's page 103. under the Ponies as Fighters entry for the class pages.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:29 pm

That's a unicorn. The shield is floating.

lonewolf23k

Postby lonewolf23k » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Oh, sorry, the Saddle Rack penalties were in the Race Book files, but not in the Campaign Setting file. Never mind that, then.

That still leaves us with Pony Cavaliers having no valid alternative to the Mount ability, save for the very silly image of Ponies riding Other Ponies.

And I still think mouth-held shields is silly, since it means nobody but a Unicorn can wield a sword and shield combo.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:56 pm

A pony would not ride a pony. A pony could ride a full sized horse, however, or other exotic creatures. A pony riding a gorilla would be an amusing turning of the tables as equines ride humanoids into battle.

Seraphem

Postby Seraphem » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 pm

That's what house rules are for.

Though, still hope to see something official for Cavaliers.

lonewolf23k

Postby lonewolf23k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I've been going through my books, looking for viable options to replace the Mount. Best I could find is giving the Cavalier Improved Overrun Attack as a Bonus Feat at level 1 to replace Mount, then alter the Cavalier's Charge chain of Class Abilities to apply to ordinary Charges rather then Mounted Charges. Pony Cavaliers don't need Mounts to make a cavalry charge.

Maybe call this Cavalier Archetype the Destrier?

Edit: Actually, found an alternate bonus feat concept from the Pathfinder OGC: Stable Gallop. Just need to adapt the Feat to apply to the Pony Cavalier's own AC when charging.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm

How could a non-unicorn pony wield a sword, or anything really, while holding a mouth sheild? And how could it move well if the sheild is larger than a buckler? Could they strap a sheild to the saddle rack? Or strap it to a foreleg?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:22 pm

By putting the sword, spear, lance, or what not into their saddle rack before wielding the shield. The real question is how to switch things up in the middle of combat. Short Answer: Awkwardly.

Strapping it to your saddle rack could maybe work? If your GM is alright with you doing that, I won't think poorly of you. If you're going to allow a saddle rack to hold two weapons or a weapon and a shield at once, however, I would suggest removing the option to wield weapons or shields in the mouth, since you have basically negated the need for it.

Return to “Stablemastery”