Third Party classes and races from a third party perspective

Get help with running Ponyfinder or Pathfinder games.
PonyWrangler

Re: Third Party classes and races from a third party perspec

Postby PonyWrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:08 am

Balance can also be afforded to being balanced in the particular setting, but not really appropriate to outside of that setting. So for example if I make a Super Fighter as a class, but hes the same power level as the Super Rogue and the Super Wizard in the created setting then hes just fine, but since hes 2x as powerful as the regular Fighter, then his inclusion into anything outside of the setting he was designed for is inappropriate.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 am

Quite true. Balance is a very subjective thing. Something can only be balanced against something else.

Libertad

Postby Libertad » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Things to consider is that in terms of official content, Pathfinder's a very unbalanced game when it comes to classes and quite a few monsters. For example, the monk was subject to a ton of nerfs which effectively cancelled out a lot of cool and interesting uses for builds, while many of the more powerful spells remain untouched. Pathfinder is very friendly to spellcasters, not so much to martials.

A 3rd party creator for Pathfinder is going to inherit the system, flaws and all. So a 3rd Party publisher can have new sourcebooks balanced within themselves, or balanced in comparison to existing Pathfinder options, but the game itself will still be subject to the problems of Core.

For example: When you add new spells for prepared casters, you're effectively granting access to them all. A Cleric and Druid can switch out their spells every day, while a Wizard doesn't have to wait to level up (they can copy from a spellbook or scroll). A new feat for a Fighter, on the other hand, can only be learned by the time they take their next level and cannot be switched out for another unless you're using a rule from Ultimate Campaign.

When making classes myself, I personally aim for something which is more versatile and powerful than a Fighter, Monk, or Rogue, but not as powerful as a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard.

Touching on 3rd Party material within Pathfinder, I think one of the problems is the massive bloat of products on sale already. As of today there are 3,421 products on Drive-Thru RPG, and this number grows a little bit ever day. And a significant portion (33%) are not full sourcebooks so much as mini-books with a list of feats, a single new player race, stuff like that. Unless you sell really well, advertise the crap out of your product, and have an unconventional theme, it's really easy for your work to slip through the cracks.
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."
~George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Well we are selling at a modest rate on drivethrurpg right now, so that's... something at least. We won't be retiring on it, that's for sure, but I take what I get and reach for more. It's what any entrepreneur can do.

Iron Heart

Postby Iron Heart » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm

David wrote:Quite true. Balance is a very subjective thing. Something can only be balanced against something else.

Like the bestiaries?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Balance against them, or are you implying they are balanced?

Iron Heart

Postby Iron Heart » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

They are the single best point of balance, because they're the biggest tool the GM has for providing challenges.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:39 am

You failed to answer A or B. :D

Iron Heart

Postby Iron Heart » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:10 am

A was implicit, I had hoped.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:17 pm

When it comes to balance of Pathfinder and classes, I have grown quite fond of Spheres of Power. Yet, given how I enjoy the new Occult Adventures, it leaves me conflicted in using it. Yet technically, while I and others use Spherecasting as a replacement for the Vancian Magic of the default system, SoP can be used side by side of normal spellcasting so perhaps I can try using both.

It would be interesting running a Ponyfinder campaign using Spheres of Power.

Return to “Stablemastery”