The Blevik Affair

Get right into roleplaying. Set a scene, or join one in progress.
Arithiael

Re: The Blevik Affair

Postby Arithiael » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:01 am

For a few seconds Cross stares at Jar with a look of incomprehension, then recovers with a grin and says "heh, not quite. And what of you hmmmm?"

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 am

Shrugging, "To each their own. Ah figure the gods do their thing, Ah do mine--everyone's happy."

Looking over to the cleric directly, "and yourself?"

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:33 pm

The pegasus opens his eyes and smiles. "From what I can tell, all is good. We should be able to talk safely about what we will. Oh, and by the way, My name is Biblio Dawnson."
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige
Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM)

I have an art request thread here:
Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:28 pm

At the pegasus' assurance, the clockwork pony breathes a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, for all your help," he says as he adjusts his position to something more comfortable to him, "My name is Clockwinder V, I am one of the many entertainers in these parts. Dancing is my trade, but it appears I will be unable to do so in the foreseeable future. But I am glad you all are here; and especially you, Jar. It is good to know my message was not waylaid on its way out of Blevik. The rest of you strike me as... considerably more trustworthy than anypony else in this city, being outsiders. Unlikely that you've been bribed or bought off in your time here."

[[Glyph Reader: Bibilo, being a dancer himself, recognizes the name immediately. He knows Clockwinder V to be a very prolific dancer in Everglow, and has been known to occasionally perform for the Sun Queen herself.]]

He turns to Jar.

"Jar, I apologize for my missive's... vague nature, but you must understand I had to take every precaution. Dopplegangers are a devious folk, especially the ones in power here. Any word that I had caught onto a scheme of theirs and being unable to walk would have been the least of my concerns."

He turns his focus back to the entire group.

"My understudy, Swiftshadow, a doppleganger, is the son of a prominent council member in this city. While clearly only my understudy due to his connections, he was nevertheless an upstanding individual. But recently he has become cold and distant, as has his father and many of said father's allies in the City Council. They garb themselves in clothes bearing Kara's symbol, they chastise the mainstream followers of Kara for not truly understanding her will, and they have even set up their own temples to Kara, allowing entry only to a select few, and have some of their lower-ranking members preach their version of Kara's wisdom on the streets. They call themselves the "True Followers of Kara" and they've been causing much hostility in the city council... I won't bore you with the politics of Blevik, but at its core... I overheard Swiftshadow say something to his father about "Kara's Ultimate Plan." What that plan is I do not know... but I'm certain they're after me."

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door.

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Many thoughts go through Biblio's head. 'Clockwinder V!? The Clockwinder V! What is he doing in Blevik? And OH MERCY HIS BACK LEGS ARE BROKEN. Well, at least injured. Still not a good thing. And he sent for Jar? Must be a pretty trustworthy guy. "True Followers of Kara"? I really need to read about the deities of Everglow more --- it has been a while since I had time to sit and read. Next time I have a spare moment, I'll need to read more about them... this isn't good at all. Clockwinder V is in most certain danger? Actually, how did he get his legs hurt---'

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door. No time to think about all of that. Biblio quietly walks up to the door and peers into the peep hole.

(( Sorry if the thoughts were too disjointed. Sadly, this is kind of how my thought process works in real life, sometimes. ))
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Arithiael

Postby Arithiael » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:37 pm

Hearing the knock on the door Cross absent mindedly grabs her scythe from her back and faces the door.
From this position she addresses Jar saying "My goddess is very old, yet she is new to here. She is the pallid princess that grants eternity, and power beyond compare to those that seek it in her."

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:11 pm

Biblio sees a zebra and a human man standing at the door. The zebra knocks again.

"Is anypony in there?" he asks through the door, "Clockwinder? Was that you who called for me?"

Clockwinder hears this and immediately replies.

"Zakta? Did you bring your assistant with you?" he asks.

"Samuel Adams is indeed with me," the zebra replies.

"Biblio," Clockwinder says, "if there is a human and a zebra standing outside of that door, then let them in. They can be trusted."

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:47 pm

"That is indeed what I see, Clockwinder. Let me open the door." Biblio carefully opens the door.
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 am

As Biblio opens the door, the zebra, Zakta the Mixer, walks in, followed closely behind by a man carrying a sack making the sounds of clinking glass. Zakta also carries two large wooden box-like devices as saddlebags as he walks in, making a bee-line towards Clockwinder.

"Clockwinder, my friend!" he exclaims with worry, "what is such an active pony like you doing bed-ridden?"

Clockwinder gives a one-syllable laugh.

"My legs aren't working," he says, "after my lunch break I suddenly felt really stiff back there, and thought I'd come here and get some hard dwarven ale to loosen me up, but I passed out as soon as I walked in the door..." he explained, "Thankfully this pegasus seems to know a thing or two about the arcane arts and woke me up with some kind of spell that took much of the pain away..." he added, nodding at Biblio.

Zakta quickly removes one of the wooden boxes from his side, which opens up to reveal a wide collection of herbs, fungi, seeds, and vials of varying fluids, clearly a miniature alchemist's storeroom.

"Samuel," Zakta says, "please mix together mineral oil with Essence of the Sun into the smallest vial and make sure they're equal parts."

"Yes, Zakta," he replies, crouching down and acquiring said materials before mixing them up with remarkable speed.

Meanwhile, Zakta applies a small vial of an unknown fluid to the area on Clockwinder's side, just next to his brand of destiny, and gingerly lifts off a plate of metal. Clockwinder grits his teeth together and strains to hold still as Zakta examines him.

Once Samuel mixed up the formula, he turns to Zakta, who instructs the human on where to pour it.

Any onlookers who feel like looking inside of Clockwinder's body will notice a plethora of moving gears, but a particular, very large one, when compared to the rest, is motionless and shows extreme signs of wear and tear. Applications of the mixture have very little effect, but allow a few smaller gears to start moving again.

"Damn," Zakta swears, "this was the work of a custom-made poison... specifically designed to mess with a clockwork pony's internal gears. There really isn't anything I can do to speed your recovery... but good call, Biblio," Zakta says, looking at the pegasus, "for casting a healing spell. If nothing else, you halted the poison's advance, and he would probably have died."

"Unfortunately for you, Clockwinder," Sam Adams chimed in, "that particular gear is showing no signs of being replaced naturally. I'd estimate another six months before this one falls out and a new one grows back in. And that's assuming that was the only gear damaged by this part."

Clockwinder swore in Dwarven.

"I will sacrifice myself to the Night Mare before Swiftshadow has a chance to take my place in front of the Queen!" he exclaims, "It must've been him! I'll bet he poisoned my Elven wine with this vile poison!"

"Well..." Sam begins, "There may be another way."

"It's quite a long shot, Samuel," Zakta counters.

"It's better than nothing," Sam states, "The Steelheart collective... Kollective 23, is home to many of their assembly priests. They have a special oil they use to repair damaged steelhearts whose problems exist deep within them... it might be beneficial to clockwork ponies, but it's never been tried... and the Steelheart Assembly Priests are not privy to giving the oil away to just anypony."

"But there's no guarantee that it will even work if they do give it out," Zakta emphasizes, "his best bet is to let him rest here, and keep him hidden..."

"I'll let him stay with me," Sam offers, "if you would like, sir..."

"Of course," Clockwinder agrees, "nopony would expect me to be at your house, of all places. And... the rest of you," he turns to the party, "when you're out there, I think it would be best if you tell ponies that I've returned home to Bit N' Bolt for medical treatment... it should keep any prying eyes looking for me looking away from Blevik."

"In the meantime," Zakta adds, "I will reach out to my contacts to see if anypony knows if this steelheart oil actually works on clockwork ponies."

"Also," Clockwinder adds as Sam manages to lift him up off the bed, "you all," he says, looking at the party, reaching into a compartment on his side and producing a key, tossing it to Jar, "go to my house, number 14 Horseshoe Lane. I suspect my wine stock has been tampered with... it should be as good a place as any to begin your investigation."

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 am

After hearing BC's explanation, the earth pony felt a bit more confused. "Say what now?"

Listening to his explanation it makes complete sense. Can't risk unpredictable elements in an already unpredictable place like Blevik. Frankly, the appeal of uncovering hidden secrets wrapped in changeling politics was self-evident... to some. Jar just nodded at Clockwinder V's reasoning and allowed the steel pony to continue. He appreciated the compliment but wasn't sure what he brought to the table that was so different. All of the ponies around him held great talent for their professions, if any he felt his role was the least defined. Still, given the secretive nature of some of his work, he did feel a little genuinely disarmed by the acknowledgement (in a good way, of course).

Hm, he had heard prior whispers of the Zebra alchemist. Mostly just city folks giving out anecdotes about him and his care. A trustworthy doctor is worth his weight in gold in Blevik. Not concerning yourself with betrayal of confidence or poisoning is something of a rare bedside manner in the city of shadows.

Nodding and taking the key, Jar responded "We'll check it out. Hopefully we find somethin' that starts to put the pieces together here."

Return to “Tavern”