Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM)

Get right into roleplaying. Set a scene, or join one in progress.
Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:42 pm

The village of Arcysus, a small settlement, had experienced troubles before. In its infancy, they discovered gem gnolls and their cavern, where several citizens and an adventuring party lost their lives. However, even years later, trouble still hasn't finished with Arcysus.

On a particularly gloomy night, fraught with lightning and heavy rain, reports came in of a strange tower with green smoke pouring from the top. Concerned, Argus, the no-nonsense earth-bound pony mayor, lead a party of relatively experienced soldiers to find what had caused the tower's appearance. Over a day had passed, and gloom had set in the town --- Argus's party had yet to return.

Concerned, Caldacent, the captain of the town guard, an elf, sent for adventurers willing to take on such a task --- with compensation, of course. The message, simply, asked for interested adventurers to gather at town hall to be provided provisions and, if necessary, equipment.

The adventure ahead is treacherous, and will test your sanity. Come, join us in our Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness!

/*
Welcome, fellow role-players! Today, I present to you Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM). In AF: AIM, I plan to focus mainly on puzzles, traps, and tactical combat. You may wish to design your character around these challenges, but do not let that be a limitation on your creativity! You never know what might await (especially since I might design traps and/or puzzles around character builds... :sheepish: ).

For those that wish to sign up, please post your character sheet in the OOC thread for the RP. Your character must be made with the Pathfinder system, and be from level 1 to level 2. The setting is the Ponyfinder setting Everglow, set during ic 115, the height of the empire. Gold is determined as per the Pathfinder rules. If you do not possess the money to purchase the proper equipment, you might want to PM me or post that in your sign-up post for reasons hinted at in this post. Further more, if you have questions, please ask in the OOC thread. Thank you for your time, and have a wonderful day.

-Glyph Reader
*/
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

I have an art request thread here:
Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Glyph Reader

Re: Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM)

Postby Glyph Reader » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Nearly a week had passed since Caldacent sent out the request for adventurers, and the weather had grown worse. Ever since the mayor's disappearance along with his party of soldiers, the stormy skies around the tower expanded and expanded. Arcysus was being pelted with heavy rainfall and lightning, and the state of the town was deplorable. On the outskirts of town, trees were catching fire, yet being doused of flames a few moments after. The streets held little activity, the few citizens willing to face the rain running about the stalls where merchants still sold their wares, even though the streets were flooded by about three inches and rising. Lightning had yet to follow, but it was a constant fear. The town itself, it could be said, was simply drenched; town hall especially so.

Two soldiers stood silently at its doors, looking out for adventurers and citizens with business there. One was a pegasus, the other an earth pony. Despite the weather and the thunder constantly sounding from above, they remained there, for they knew their only hope would lay in whomever decided to assist their town in its darkest---and dampest---hour.

(( Okay, sorry for taking so long, guys. I had the largest case of writters block, and it definately isn't fun. Like Spy Pony, OOC talk in the IC thread is in (( *text* )). Also like Spy Pony, GM directives are written in [[ *text* ]]. ))

[[ All players need to describe what they do in the town. If you want, you can describe your traveling to Arcysus, but it is not mandetory. ]]
Last edited by Glyph Reader on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Arithiael

Postby Arithiael » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:02 am

A white unicorn with black name, tail, and eyes appears from the south of town. She is wearing banded mail, a scythe on her back, and a look in her eyes that said she was ready to go to war.
When she enters the town she searches for Caldacent, so to discuss about the disappearance of the mayor and the quest to investigate the tower.

((I hope that's reasonable. I'm very excited to start!))

Her first words to the elf are "hello, my name is Black cross, I'm here to help"

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:52 pm

The sounds of the pouring rain, constant thunder, and cracking of burnt trees all but drowned out the sounds of whirring gears and expelling steam from a clockwork unicorn just within eyesight of the town of Arcysus. His glowing blue eyes were the only thing that provided any illumination other than the brief fires on trees or the constant lightning.

Clockwinder VI, however, trod through it. In fact, the only thing that hindered him was the fact that his metallic hooves tended to get stuck in the mud, far more easily, he imagined, than those of regular ponies. He whispered a brief prayer to his goddess, Princess Luminance, and trod forward, dodging falling embers, wet ashes falling from the trees, but thankfully not lightning before he reached the doors to the city, where he saw two guards at the gates. Once he got close enough to them, he gave them a quick salute.

"Blessings of Luminance be upon you," he greeted, before entering the entered the city.

Once inside, he was surprised to see the flooded streets. Though upon thinking about it, he realized he shouldn't have been surprised, given how much it had been raining. In the meantime, he searched for the city hall to hopefully meet the individual who called for interested parties to help the city.

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:43 am

Arithiael wrote:A white unicorn with black name, tail, and eyes appears from the south of town. She is wearing banded mail, a scythe on her back, and a look in her eyes that said she was ready to go to war.
When she enters the town she searches for Caldacent, so to discuss about the disappearance of the mayor and the quest to investigate the tower.

((I hope that's reasonable. I'm very excited to start!))

Her first words to the elf are "hello, my name is Black cross, I'm here to help"

The main hall of the town hall was plain: few decorations and very simple architecture constructed with what seemed to be solid oak. Two doors were on either side of the initial hallway, and a large room was straight ahead. On the right, a plaque simply stated "Mayor" in bold letters, and on the left, an identically styled plaque stated "Captain of the Guard". A unicorn soldier was stationed next to the Mayor's office, stern eyes staring straight ahead. As Black Cross entered the building, the soldier immediately turned toward the unicorn, and after a brief glance into her eyes, she trotted over to the left door and opened it. "Caldacent is this way, miss," she declared with a gruff voice.

Like the hallway before it, the room was very sparse. A single window faced east, the sun barely visible behind the heavy clouds. A desk was seated a distance away from the door, and piles of paper and armor were stacked on either side of the desk. Sitting at the desk was what had to be Caldacent. Caldacent was of a medium height and of a sturdy build, reminiscent of the nearby trees. He is wearing a heavy breastplate and a pair of much lighter chainmail greaves, both worn with age. A longbow and longsword are leaning against his desk.

He looks at Black Cross with an appraising eye. "So you got our message, I see. It would seem that you are not in need of equipment." A small bucket of apples sits on Caldacent's desk. Taking one out of the bucket, he extends it towards the unicorn. "It must have been a long journey. Apple?"

Spy Pony wrote:The sounds of the pouring rain, constant thunder, and cracking of burnt trees all but drowned out the sounds of whirring gears and expelling steam from a clockwork unicorn just within eyesight of the town of Arcysus. His glowing blue eyes were the only thing that provided any illumination other than the brief fires on trees or the constant lightning.

Clockwinder VI, however, trod through it. In fact, the only thing that hindered him was the fact that his metallic hooves tended to get stuck in the mud, far more easily, he imagined, than those of regular ponies. He whispered a brief prayer to his goddess, Princess Luminance, and trod forward, dodging falling embers, wet ashes falling from the trees, but thankfully not lightning before he reached the doors to the city, where he saw two guards at the gates. Once he got close enough to them, he gave them a quick salute.

"Blessings of Luminance be upon you," he greeted, before entering the entered the city.

Once inside, he was surprised to see the flooded streets. Though upon thinking about it, he realized he shouldn't have been surprised, given how much it had been raining. In the meantime, he searched for the city hall to hopefully meet the individual who called for interested parties to help the city.

The moment Clockwinder VI entered the building, a unicorn solider walked up to him, briefly glanced at his appearance, and walked over to the door on the left. She opened the door, gruffy stating "Caldacent is this way, sir."

Inside, he saw an elf with an apple in hand facing a unicorn with a scythe strapped to her back. Caldacent, seeing the new arrival, grabs another apple with the other hand and offers it to the new arrival. "Another adventurer? What is your name? Apple?"
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:18 pm

At the unicorn soldier's insistence, Clockwinder saluted her, thanked her, and walked through the door.

He was surprised to see an elf commanding the city guard, considering he'd only seen ponies in city guard roles. But then again, he grew up in a city that had a sizable dwarf population in addition to the clockwork ponies that inhabited most of Bit N' Bolt. If dwarves could provide expert crafting skills that the clockwork ponies needed, then he saw no reason why an elf couldn't command a city guard consisting of mostly ponies.

At Caldacent's question, he smiled and bowed slightly.

"Clockwinder VI," he states, "Paladin Order of Princess Luminance. I appreciate the offer, sir," he says, "But us clockwork do not require food or water for sustenance. It would be wasted on me. But yes, I am here in regard to the missive sent. It would be my pleasure to help the good citizens of Arcysus," he explains, as he notices the other pony in the room, with a scythe strapped to her back, "And it appears I was not alone in that regard."

Arithiael

Postby Arithiael » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:25 pm

"Not quite alone" the mysterious unicorn replied, now facing clockwinder. "How do you do?"

Spy Pony

Postby Spy Pony » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:40 pm

"Quite well, madam," Clockwinder replied, bowing his head a little, though hesitantly at the way he just noticed she dressed. Something felt off about her, but he couldn't put his hoof on it.

He turned back to Caldacent.

"So, sir," he said, "what has happened that requires our attention?" he asked.

Arithiael

Postby Arithiael » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:24 pm

"Yes that's why we're here." Black Cross says to the elf, turning to her.

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 pm

When Caldacent hears Clockwinder VI's question, his smile disappears. He drops the apples back into the bucket and leans forward. "Something strange has happened. Approximately nine days ago, we received reports from the farmers that tend their fields outside of town that a strange tower appeared from nowhere. They said green smoke was pouring from the upper reaches of the tower, and that they felt a chill run down their spines whenever it was in their sight. Our mayor isn't like most politicians. He's rather strong, even for an earth pony. When he sees a problem, he likes to deal with it hands --- well, hooves on rather than discussing it for hours on end. He decided to gather a few of my middle rank soldiers and investigate the tower himself. Since then, there has been no sight of him or his party.

"On the night of the tower's appearance, a large storm was occurring in the fields. Since then, it has expanded close to the town, as you might have noticed. Rather than rush right in, I decided to send a message asking for adventurers. Looking at you, I would say that we have a good chance." He briefly pauses. "Golden Cauliflower!"

The door opens, and the unicorn mare that directed Black Cross and Clockwinder VI into Caldacent's office marches in. "Yes sir!" she salutes.

"At ease Cauliflower. Meet adventurers Black Cross and Clockwinder VI. You are going to be accompanying them on their investigation of the tower." He turns back to the two adventurers. "Your mission is to investigate the nature tower, and, if possible, rescue the mayor and our soldiers. We will provide some basic provisions like ammunition, rope and the like, but anything more expensive will need to be paid for from your own pocket. As a reward, you will be granted 500 GP each, as well as your pick of anything you find in the tower. Do you two accept?"
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige

Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Return to “Tavern”