The End... or, The Beginning?

Get right into roleplaying. Set a scene, or join one in progress.
IryokuHikari

The End... or, The Beginning?

Postby IryokuHikari » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 pm

The world is wracked with tremors and natural disasters. Strange beasts run amok, unchecked. The priests wail in the streets that the gods are at war, but with whom? Or what? The oracles are mum, but its clear: something must be done. Gods and great mortals alike send their greatest champions to Canolfan, a neutral city-state respected by all parties. Somehow, these disparate heroes must put aside old prejudices and grudges... or else there might not be anything left to fight over.

(We have a low level campaign, a mid-level campaign, and now, I am proposing a higher level campaign! It'll be about 10, so plan accordingly. I'd like to have some different characters with some connections/rivalries with others, and we might actually do some stat-based stuff. (Don't hold your breath, though ;P) Anyways, if you're interested, you know what to do! Pitch your ideas, and I can't wait to see what you come up with!)

Dragonflame

Re: The End... or, The Beginning?

Postby Dragonflame » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Well... If you're talking about Ponies, seems to me like the ponykind goddesses are fighting the Unspoken. Or maybe something worse... dun Dun DUN! :P

Necrose

Postby Necrose » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Sounds interesting.

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

I actually have not read the basic race book, so everything will likely be coming out of my own imagination (or borrowed/adapted from something I like very much ;P)

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Are you trying to leave it open for new players or is anyone allowed?
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Oh, anyone is allowed. I just want the characters to have interesting backstories/connections with other characters. Anyone is welcome to join in the fun and merryment :P

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 pm

IryokuHikari wrote:The world is wracked with tremors and natural disasters. Strange beasts run amok, unchecked. The priests wail in the streets that the gods are at war, but with whom? Or what? The oracles are mum, but its clear: something must be done. Gods and great mortals alike send their greatest champions to Canolfan, a neutral city-state respected by all parties. Somehow, these disparate heroes must put aside old prejudices and grudges... or else there might not be anything left to fight over.

//Could we be told a little more about the city and places our characters would find themselves drawn to?//
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:36 am

//I was thinking of joining in. Would I need to generate the stats for my character, or will it be imagination/GM based? Oh, and incase you haven't read my introduction thread; Hello there! My name is Glyph Reader, desendent of the great Indiana Pones.//
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige
Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM)

I have an art request thread here:
Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

Delta Requiem

Postby Delta Requiem » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:50 pm

((Methinks I'll join in... with a new character, this time. I don't play paladins often, so be nice! :-D )
"My trade is rumor and gossip, my weapon the spoken word."
- Bardic Oath taken by the Court Bard

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Canada714 wrote:
IryokuHikari wrote:The world is wracked with tremors and natural disasters. Strange beasts run amok, unchecked. The priests wail in the streets that the gods are at war, but with whom? Or what? The oracles are mum, but its clear: something must be done. Gods and great mortals alike send their greatest champions to Canolfan, a neutral city-state respected by all parties. Somehow, these disparate heroes must put aside old prejudices and grudges... or else there might not be anything left to fight over.

//Could we be told a little more about the city and places our characters would find themselves drawn to?//

Why, of course! *Cracks typing fingers dramatically* (Note, I'm making this stuff up/adapting it from headcanon as I go. If you have any cool ideas for backgrounds and such, let me know, and I can weave it into the history and such. Until the 30th, I am without the basic race book, so I have no concept of what's in there lol)

Canolfan: A town situated around a Wellspring, a natural phenomenon resulting from the coincidence of several ley lines and a natural water feature. Any objects that were bathed in the spring gained fantastic abilities, giving rise to a new generation of heroes. The town quickly attracted mystics, mages, and merchants selling to them both, resulting in a boom-town-like growth of the city. It became THE adventuring town, as many who came sought to obtain the blessing of the spring. The town grew from a one inn town to a small city, to a sprawling metropolis, attracting all races and ages to come, trade, and give thanks to the Wellspring.

As word spread however, various factions and adjacent lands began to covet the Wellspring and the wealth and prosperity it brought the town, and as it usually happens when someone has something you want, plots began to hatch and schemes began to be implemented, from poison, to assassination, to all-out assaults. But always due to some random coincidence or another, the poisoned drink was spilt, the assassin tripped on a child's misplaced toy, or the sieging army mysteriously ran out of oatmeal and had to turn back.

Finally, it came to a head. A massive army was gathered by the greedy kings of the nations surrounding. They swore by thier gods to take that city and its wealth for themselves. They marched thousands strong against the city. As if fate itself were aiding the attackers, the Spring suddenly dwindled. The ambient power of the Spring had retreated deep into itself, and only a trickle of its former radiance shone through. The kings did not stop, however. They were blinded by ambition and covetousness, so much in fact that they ignored the results of their auguries and divinations, that they did not see that their gods did not march with them, nor did their clerics, or paladins, or oracles. So focused on the wealth were they that they blinded themselves to anything but that Spring.

The assault began, and while the city was well protected and well provisioned, without the fortunate blessings of the Spring, they would surely fall. Broken, they resigned themselves to destruction and huddled in the shrine built around the spring. Unresisted, the kings broke through the walls, and personally led the triumphant march to the shrine to seize their reward. The people went without a fight, save for one small filly. She broke away from her captors, and began running towards the spring, screaming and shouting, berating the Spring for abandoning them, for consigning them to destruction. She implored the Spring, begged it to come back, to help them. Even as the soldiers dragged her away, she still cried out, begged, pleaded; up until one of the kings put a sword through her heart.

The gods had had enough. They had warned the kings not to attack, not to battle, not to kill. The kings had disobeyed, and had even slain an innocent life. The line had been crossed too long and too far, so the gods did something that they had only done 4 times before, and only once since: They resurrected the filly and granted her the gift of deity. She was bound to the Wellspring and took its power into herself, and with it, she forced the king and armies back with improbable event after unlikely occurrence, and seeing the power of the spring and their new goddess, the people rose up and pushed them back the rest of the way.

Led by their new deity, the city recovered quickly and prospered even more than before, only now, the nations had removed their greedy kings from power and sought to live in harmony with Canolfan, the City of the Spring and her new goddess, known only as the Springmaiden.

...And that, dear players, is why you shouldn't ask for more background information. I end up writing this. :P Again, if you have any ideas about your race/background, the rest of the world is completely open. You get to write/inspire your part of the world, and I will (probably) roll with it! :) This literally consumed an hour of my time just thinking this up and such, so I'd really like to get you guys involved in the world creation. I like the aspect of collaborative storytelling and worldbuilding that gets characters invested via them building their own backstory. (It also helps me out, because I have less to do, and the less that I have to craft out of my brain, the more sanity I have left at the end of the day :crazy: )

//I was thinking of joining in. Would I need to generate the stats for my character, or will it be imagination/GM based? Oh, and incase you haven't read my introduction thread; Hello there! My name is Glyph Reader, desendent of the great Indiana Pones.//

I do sorta want stats... at some point. Lets see what happens. Pleasure to meet you ;P

((Methinks I'll join in... with a new character, this time. I don't play paladins often, so be nice! :-D )

Oh Delta... when have I ever been mean? :halo: ( :crazy: )

Return to “Tavern”