5e Pony Game: The New Frontier

A place to announce or look for online tabletop play
David
Site Admin

Re: 5e Pony Game: The New Frontier

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Twilight did the equivalent of qualifying for a prestige class, and you say she doesn't make sense as gaining it from a class? Your logic eludes me. She was literally the one I was thinking of, I confess, when designing it.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Soo.... You're just letting players be Alicorns?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Who, me? This isn't my game. I wrote Ponyfinder, but this isn't Ponyfinder. I do wish you all the best though!

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Sun Dial wrote:Soo.... You're just letting players be Alicorns?

#MALarsonismyDM

No, I'm not letting players be Alicorns under practically all circumstances. If a player were to really (I mean really) wow me with an engaging story that could practically only be well served through their ascension I may consider it.

Realistically, I'm never going to let any of y'all become Alicorns.

Thanks David!

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:00 pm

David wrote:Twilight did the equivalent of qualifying for a prestige class, and you say she doesn't make sense as gaining it from a class? Your logic eludes me. She was literally the one I was thinking of, I confess, when designing it.

I agree a PrC would work well for Twilight but she did it by making new magic so the class wouldn't be something the other Alicorns have.

I suppose wiz 8/Princess of friendship 2-3 is better.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:54 pm

If you don't want Larson, you'll have to ban the Unification Bloodline. Level 1 they get an additional trait from one of the other tribes.

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 am

True, Sorc (Unity) has been banned in the Campaign doc. Made some other, small changes as well.

New Spells: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VM-5V ... aYuNWUnpeU

^Is currently very cantrip heavy. I will be adding this to the original post and adding new spells later on, likely borrowing from some already created by others for Pony 5e. If you have suggestions or homebrew you'd like to add, send it my way.

Zebras and Crystal ponies are some of my favorites so I will be expanding on them a bit here. Zebras already have some solid PF material but I think they need a 5e pick me up. I have already included a Paladin archetype for Crystal "Oath of the Heart" (Crystal Heart), focuses on support and defensive functions. Druid (Witch) archetype was designed to represent the sort of lifestyle and skillset Zecora possesses without it being "the Zecora class". More of a 5e Alchemist with a support buff, really.

My goal, simply put, is to allow the wide range of 5e features, talents and feats to represent as much as they possibly can. I think 5e was built with this "simplify" ideology in mind. The additional things I will focus on making will be those which are significant enough to constitute a change or variation (Witch, Artifact Tender, etc) or would provide a player what they need to be effective if they were to choose something 5e did not focus on but ponygame would (new fighting styles, feats, Oath of the Heart, etc). This is a big part of my solicitation for new ideas and material: if you want to play it, I am willing to work with you to make it a thing (... except Alicorns).

Also, please let me know what you want to make public information about your character. I prefer the players come to the table without comprehensive knowledge of each other's characters as it makes for a more organic coming together and discovery phase (imho). If you and another player mutually decide to have met and worked together before, that's fine and would circumvent this.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:56 am

I'm going to make a request to play a Druid of the Skies, because it needs field tested. It was a concept and idea that we put together, but hasn't had a chance to actually be run, same with the Blaze and Moon Warden, but I highly doubt the moon Warden is going to be a problem.

So, may I see how the Druid of the Skies archtype works out? Subject to changes because its being play tested?

TheJar

Postby TheJar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:17 am

Sun Dial wrote:I'm going to make a request to play a Druid of the Skies, because it needs field tested. It was a concept and idea that we put together, but hasn't had a chance to actually be run, same with the Blaze and Moon Warden, but I highly doubt the moon Warden is going to be a problem.

So, may I see how the Druid of the Skies archtype works out? Subject to changes because its being play tested?

The problem is that I am working weather ponies as a fairly mundane thing (probably a ritual they just learn solo) and not an entire assortment of things. If you want to go for "I command the skies and storms" then Storm soul sorc or tempest cleric are probably more your thing. Also, I have a few problems with the features:

*The speed boost isn't in line with 5e mechanics, if I were going something about it using your Wis and not your Dex. I've already made a feat (Sky Warrior) that let's you Dash fly as a bonus action.
*Reduction to spell and projectile damage as a free to use reaction is too much IMO. I'd just make it like Monk's Deflect Arrows and keep the shoot back option but with a Wis/long rest limit instead of ki req.
*All in all, this would be better served if the player went with Sky Warrior, another class or if I made a flying barb or Ranger archetype, depending on what they are looking for. The accessibility I have given weather pony just steals the thunder of a Sky Druid.

Edit: After giving it thought (and realizing there is no Sky option already for Druid. Seriously, WotC?) I'm allowing it, but with the below modifications.

Druid (Land: Sky) :adventure:

2nd: Wild Shape into flying creatures, you may bonus action to increase your speed by 5ft per point of Dex modifier. This leaves a contrail matching your colors behind you.

6th: Moving through non-magical difficult terrain while flying costs you no extra movement.

You have advantage on saving throws against wind effects, as well as lightning and thunder damaging effects.

10th: Resistance to Lightning and Thunder damage.

14th: Friends in High Places: When you are within 30ft of an Air Elemental ally and you are attacked or the target of a saving throw for an effect, they will interpose granting the attack disadvantage/you advantage on the save and you gain resistance to any damage dealt. You may do this Wis/long rest.

Sun Dial

Postby Sun Dial » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Sweet, yeah, no, the whole thing wasn't based off yours, and so the Anti-arrow change is fine. It was running under the impression that arrows were going to do twice as much damage because they had vulnerability to Piercing.

Friends in High Places is interesting.... and something I'd like to test before we'd ever move it into production. 14th level was a pain to figure out, and we did have some ideas. I'd like to test yours out, (if we ever get that far) But it will be something of interest.

Return to “Planning”