[Pathfinder] Lookining for players

A place to announce or look for online tabletop play
Xinef

[Pathfinder] Lookining for players

Postby Xinef » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 am

So... I'm a semi-experienced GM, looking for players.

I'd like to start a campaign on roll20, although I think we could start with a one-off to get to know each other, so that I can better prepare the campaign afterwards. Anyway, I'm mostly inspired by games such as those recorded by Stinkehund and o̶u̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ David:

So I'd like to try something similar. Except I also like the idea of leadership and economy based games, so I'd try to mix in some kingmaker style gameplay (although in a different location and with a different story and custom rules), magic item crafting, town building etc.

Overall, I tend to diverge towards open-ended, sandboxy games. I'm trying to improve my improv skills, but from experience I can tell that when I am totally unprepared, strange things happen. Because I have a strange sense of humor. So I'll usually just design a world, make some events happen, and let the players decide what to do about it. But if you try to completely ignore the things I have prepared, expect to visit a world of psychedelic dreams and half-baked NPCs born in a crazy mind.

Also, I try to keep a balance between roleplaying, adventure, combat etc.

Due to my job and other circumstances, we'll probably have to decide on the game time on a case by case basis, and don't be surprised if some games last 2 hours or less. Also, I live in Poland (GMT +1), so keep that in mind, although I don't mind staying up late if necessary. Overall, I'd expect 2 or so games a month.

Also, I'm not a native speaker. I'm pretty confident in my English, but it would be the first time for me to GM in English, so I wonder how I'd do.

Other important details:
  • The system is a heavily house ruled version of Pathfinder. Magic is totally redone almost from scratch. Mundane healing is buffed, magical healing is nerfed. Armor uses the alternative rules for damage reduction. Language mechanics are totally changed (Common is like esperanto, while each real language has levels of mastery, and separate spoken and written ranks).
  • If you have an interesting concept for a character, I'll most likely accept it. If it's overpowered or underpowered, I'd rather buff or nerf a few things, rather than say outright no. So don't be afraid to come up with concepts that wouldn't work in the base game. We should strive to change the system to work for the character concepts, not the other way around.
  • Overall, as a GM I tend to be easy on players. If you want your character to live and die on the edge, tell me. To me, the decision if and when a player character dies is a decision the player should make, not the GM. And overall, as a GM I should not control your character's fate. That's up to you. So if you want me to control anything about your character, you have to expressly give me permission to do so.

As for my GMing experience/portfolio:
  • So far, I only played offline. This would be my first time playing online, on roll20.
  • The systems I had played so far include D&D 3.0/3.5, Pathfinder, Warhammer fantasy, Neuroshima, Wolsung and Roleplaying is Magic (3rd ed).
  • I enjoy both GMing and being a player. And my experience as both is roughly 50%/50%. In general, the way I act as a GM is the way I'd like other GMs to act if I were a player. I would consider it both a flaw and a strength - if your gaming needs are similar to mine, it's probably a good thing. If your needs are different, that's probably bad. But I'm aware of this, so I'm willing to adjust the style of play to each player's needs.
  • The last Pathfinder campaign I was GMing involved human/dwarf/elf/etc. adventurers looking for Elements of Harmony scattered by Discord all over Golarion (the standard world of Pathfinder). Because why not, Elements make for pretty interesting artifacts, and Discord is a great villain for any setting :P
    We got roughly half way through, when some players dropped because of scheduling issues, one player decided he prefers competitive games as opposed to cooperative, and generally Discord won, because there was no one left to stop him. Oh well, stuff happens.

Xinef

Re: [Pathfinder] Lookining for players

Postby Xinef » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:22 pm

We've run one game so far. A one-on-one, because I'm still looking for players and I only found one so far. She was new to roleplaying in general, so I made an introductory game for her. So, we're still looking for 2-3 more players before we start a more comprehensive campaign.

The next game is planned for 22nd April, 6:00PM GMT+2, although we may move it if necessary to accommodate more players.

Anyone interested is welcome to check our roll20 page for more details:
https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/detail ... ponyfinder

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Twitter blasted.

Xinef

Postby Xinef » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 pm

David wrote:Twitter blasted.

Much appreciated :-D

Shawnfady3529

Postby Shawnfady3529 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am

Don't suppose you still need players :P

Xinef

Postby Xinef » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Shawnfady3529 wrote:Don't suppose you still need players :P

Not at the moment. I have 4 players and we're quite far into the campaign.

However, I know another GM running ponyfinder (also the pathfinder version) who is willing to run larger groups so if you're interested, I might ask him.
His game runs on Saturdays, 9 pm. EST

Return to “Planning”