Politics as A Vacation (Planning Post #1) Looking For Players!

A place to announce or look for online tabletop play
Freefall

Politics as A Vacation (Planning Post #1) Looking For Players!

Postby Freefall » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Cancelled! If you PMed me regarding characters I am sorry we could not get this game off the ground :(

Freefall aka CremeBurlee aka Everfree Will Fall
Last edited by Freefall on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fytayn

Re: Politics as A Vacation (Planning Post #1)

Postby Fytayn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:27 am

Sorry, new here (well, sort of, anyways) and I don't know exactly what you're referring to with "real consequences". I've played many tabletop and LARP games, from great to 'ugh', which threw around the words "mature" and "real consequences". It's just that there's a long list of things that could fall under that description so I'm a little... Cautious? I have no idea what you mean, exactly, so none of these questions are accusations. Far from it! But not asking a few of these has led to some unpleasant surprises in the past (as you can tell by the questions themselves... :/ ).

To my experience the kinda standard consequences of 3.5 are things like losing money, losing items, losing social status or membership in a group, loss of title or wealth, public humiliation, being arrested (almost always with trial and the punishments ranging from imprisonment to execution but all being pretty humane), exile (even if it's just from their favourite tavern) and of course all the usual consequences of 3.5 combat like temporary injury, death, or capture for ransom or ritual sacrifice or the like. So very "dramatic" consequences appropriate to a fantasy story.

But can you elaborate a bit on what you mean? Considering the title are you going with consequences as large-scale realm-affecting political changes? Or on a bit smaller scale will they affect the city/Empire in a significant way? Is it more that such consequences are personal and can make (or break) a political career and greatly affect the character's options or connections? What about family and friends, could they be threatened or affected in some way? Are some of these consequences physical, like permanent injury or scarring, or maybe some sort of magically created change in the character? Is death, pretty much the ultimate consequence, a real possibility outside of actual combat? Will some of these consequences involve being beholden to other characters or NPCs -- through social, political or physical pressure or even controlled by magic -- to the degree that the character is forced to do unpleasant things against their will (or even to lose a will of their own)? Finally, and a reminder that all of this is far more a list of surprises people have randomly sprung on me in the past than anything I actually expect from you or this game, is significant pain and suffering such as psychological or physical torture or similar things a possibility?

I feel pretty terrible to ask most of these but the alternative is just so much worse... :fcry: Sorry if I've offended.

I am honestly interested and I hope this all doesn't make me seem picky or like a creep or something. Hope you have a good day!

Freefall

Re: Politics as A Vacation (Planning Post #1)

Postby Freefall » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Yes! Consequences will be large and consequences will be small with a range a variety of topics.

And don't be offended. The word mature can mean many meanings. What I am looking for are players who can think rationally and understand that their actions can cause real pain or real good. The players can affect the kingdom in many ways with their choices of who they befriend and who they do not. NPCs will be using political means that range from legitimate to very unsavory. What is at stake is the ability for any idea or pony or ponies to fundamentally change the City-State and perhaps domino their ideas onto the surrounding lands. In this case, the consequences could far out-span your death. Naturally there are many factions willing to do many things for this control.

I appreciate your concern and I will be finding from my players what they are comfortable with and what they are uncomfortable with in the game. I am however, looking for players who are more comfortable with things than not. I am myself a first time DM so I open to suggestions and aid as well

He who controls the spice...
<_<

EquestrianScholar

Re: Politics as A Vacation (Planning Post #1) Looking For Players!

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:33 pm

I could be interested, though I can only think of one of my characters which would want to involve themselves directly into politics being a unicorn from the capital and a member of the Canterlot elite. Admittedly, Mythos Gray would be more the type not wishing to make huge changes in politics and effect things more "one on one" as it were using his charm or manipulativeness to make small changes.

Still, at his heart, he is an entertainer and storyteller who wishes to travel the world, not stick around and deal with nobility and politics... even if he might show improving skill in such as time goes on. In this situation, I think he would mostly simply go to the Crystal Empire to enjoy the birthday party and maybe mingle with the royal family. Heh, since he is a stallion always looking to learn the story of those most interesting.

Admittedly, this interest is mostly focused on the Mane Six and Royal Sisters, yet learning of Shining Armour and Princess Cadance would be of worth. Enough for him to make the trip just for the chance. Still, politics would not be his interest, simply a good story, and getting dragged into an adventure while there would only be a plus.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Another character I could pick is a more recent creation, one by the name of Rose Quartz. A crystal doe and resident of the Crystal Empire, one with a deer mother and a crystal pony father. The chance of meeting with the rulers of her home would be quite the honor. Admittedly, she is a character less likely to want to get involved in anything big or in politics, being more one to keep to herself. A potionmaker, a.k.a. alchemist, and counselor who makes use of crystals or gems in healing/medicine who might if forced into an adventure try her best to help.

Still, it would have to in this case be others who take the lead, with her following along as more support then a driving force moving the plot along. This may or may not be fine, mattering who else is a part of the adventure, yet it could allow for something of a proving ground for the young doe to truly shine in ways more then just her coat.

Magical Trevor

Postby Magical Trevor » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, what day would it be played on? Why are you posting for a 3.5 game on Pathfinder? Are you accepting Pathfinder classes and items and what have you, or? (Sorry, feeling dumb, like these should be obvious somehow, but I'm just not getting it. XD)

Freefall

Postby Freefall » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:19 pm

EquestrianScholar wrote:I could be interested, though I can only think of one of my characters which would want to involve themselves directly into politics being a unicorn from the capital and a member of the Canterlot elite. Admittedly, Mythos Gray would be more the type not wishing to make huge changes in politics and effect things more "one on one" as it were using his charm or manipulativeness to make small changes.

Still, at his heart, he is an entertainer and storyteller who wishes to travel the world, not stick around and deal with nobility and politics... even if he might show improving skill in such as time goes on. In this situation, I think he would mostly simply go to the Crystal Empire to enjoy the birthday party and maybe mingle with the royal family. Heh, since he is a stallion always looking to learn the story of those most interesting.

Admittedly, this interest is mostly focused on the Mane Six and Royal Sisters, yet learning of Shining Armour and Princess Cadance would be of worth. Enough for him to make the trip just for the chance. Still, politics would not be his interest, simply a good story, and getting dragged into an adventure while there would only be a plus.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Another character I could pick is a more recent creation, one by the name of Rose Quartz. A crystal doe and resident of the Crystal Empire, one with a deer mother and a crystal pony father. The chance of meeting with the rulers of her home would be quite the honor. Admittedly, she is a character less likely to want to get involved in anything big or in politics, being more one to keep to herself. A potionmaker, a.k.a. alchemist, and counselor who makes use of crystals or gems in healing/medicine who might if forced into an adventure try her best to help.

Still, it would have to in this case be others who take the lead, with her following along as more support then a driving force moving the plot along. This may or may not be fine, mattering who else is a part of the adventure, yet it could allow for something of a proving ground for the young doe to truly shine in ways more then just her coat.

Equestrian Scholar.

Living, breathing, eating, regardless of one's intent, could be viewed as a form of politics or at least have political influence. The player characters are still going to be adventurers at heart, but are going to be subject to a world where alliances and friends and foes can shape how the next day will turn. I do remember a certain character in a Fellowship of sorts who wanted nothing other than to stride around and not get involved with politics. That guy ended up all right. Having someone who wants nothing to do with any of the intricacies, if played right, would be as equally as entertaining and acceptable as the latter. Mythos Gray's reasons for wanting to visit the capital is a simple - but very appropriate - reason.

I will be out on personal business for the next couple of days so my responses may take longer than usual. Forgive me for not responding sooner, after posting this initially, I assumed there was a lack of interest to the game.

EquestrianScholar

Postby EquestrianScholar » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. My apologies for not getting back to you this form sooner, I forgot that it does not send you notifications when you receive a reply and one simply needs to keep watch of it every day.

Honestly though, I may go with Mythos Gray since he is the one I'm most comfortable playing and I have not quite worked out all the details of Rose's personality and her quarks. Thanks for answering my questions.
Last edited by EquestrianScholar on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:07 am

EquestrianScholar wrote:Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it. My apologies for not getting back to you this form sooner, I forgot that it does not send you notifications when you receive a reply and one simply needs to keep watch of it every day.

Honestly though, I may go with Mythos Gray since he is the one I'm most comfortable playing and I have not quite worked at the detail of Rose's personality on the quarks. Thanks for answering my questions.

Did you subscribe to the topic? I get emails every time.

Return to “Planning”