Archetype - Scholar of Tribes

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Archetype - Scholar of Tribes

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Scholar of Tribes(Wizard)
Throughout ponykind history, there are those who have delved into the secrets that divide and connect the ponykind tribes. Some do it out of jealousy, some for power, and others are simply curious. Scholar of Tribes wizards must specialize in transmutation.

Tribal Guest (Ex): At 5th level, the pony may learn and cast spells that are restricted to specific tribes of ponykind. They also gain +2 to bluff and disguise checks made to impersonate other tribes. This replaces the bonus feat gained at 5th level..

Tribal Member (Su): At 10th level, the pony may imitate another tribe of ponykind. While doing so, they appear as one of them, with the specifics up to the wizard, though imitating specific ponies is not possible. This is a polymorph effect and acts as per beast shape IV. This ability may be used for up to ten minutes per level. These ten minute segments do not have to be used consecutively. While imitating a tribe, magic items perform as if they were truly of that tribe. This replaces the bonus feat gained at 10th level.

Tribal Leader (Su): At 15th level, the pony may empower tribal gifts. With a touch, the target pony's connection to their tribe deepens and any effect related to it gains a +1 effective level per 4 caster levels for up to caster level rounds. If the effect has a DC, increase it by 1 per 8 levels. This ability may be used once per day, plus one per point of intelligence bonus. This replaces the bonus feat gained at 15th level.

Platinius

Re: Archetype - Scholar of Tribes

Postby Platinius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 pm

so that's what happens when a pony wizard goes native :)
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 pm

None of these techniques are permanent, alas. Of course, if we're speaking thematically, an earth-bound pony that was determined to be a respected flyer could grab flying feats, even if they're only active while they're imitating a pegasus. Poor ponies and their identity crises.

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:55 am

This sorta seems to benefit the shapeshifters a great deal if they are angled on being able to need something in a pinch. But able to really shift in another manner, but may overlap as well. In wondering, would this cover more than the three main tribes, but those like the clockworks, and flutterponies that might not be covered as the shapeshifting defaults?

Though I love the idea behind someone finding a way to be what life may not have handed you in part, given the unification (if its from the one book before) is limited to just one class.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 am

Doppelgangers can do the appearance of any tribe, with the proper feat, but gain no actual ability from it. This may be up their alley.

MysticTemplar

Postby MysticTemplar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

I must say, I'm impressed with how you took this from my vague and somewhat disjointed ideas.

This works out better than what I was picturing in my mind~ :halo:

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:39 pm

It is my pleasure to give life to the seeds of ideas.

Return to “Drawing Board”