Town: Ebonsilk

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Town: Ebonsilk

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 am

How about something a little dark?

Ebonsilk
Demographics
Population Hamlet - 31 (15 earth-bound, 5 unicorn, 5 pegasus, 2 griffon, 4 phoenix wolves(single family) )
Government None
Alignment Neutral
Description
It all began before the empire had properly formed. A few ponies arrived on the spot, situated near a hostile swamp. Against their better senses, they called it home. They found that the spiders of the area produced a fine black silk, which became the name of their village, and that various beneficial herbs could be harvested from the seething swamp. Time and proximity to an existing trade route caused the tiny village to swell to a small city. A temple to the night goddesses was erected near where it was rumored they once bathed in a hidden pond.
When the town had reached its zenith, wealthy ponies had large ornate houses built. The overflow of wealth saw other houses being upgraded to stone instead of wood, and the roads paved at last. Despite this, the reputation of the town was dark indeed. By the time the silk trade had brought in all this wealth, the temple had already been forgotten, left to be covered with moss. People would vanish without a trace into the thick fogs that covered the city regularly. Strange sounds echoed out from its writhing mass, to say nothing of the lights and the wild beasts that prowled the swamp. It all came to a head when an imperial detachment clashed with a human raiding party in the swamp. The battle was fierce and both sides suffered terrible losses, most of which were left to the swamp to claim. The swamp did not want the bodies, and they rose over time to harass the living that had abandoned them.
By this time, the town was emptying rapidly, ebon silk or not. The people fled the cursed city, spreading tales of its misfortune far and wide until only a few stubborn holdouts remain. A few adventurous souls do come to plunder the swamp. There are some herbs that grow nowhere else, such as the Moonflower, a powerful herb that glows under the full moon and causes intense emotions in those that eat it The town has no tavern proper, but adventurers willing to pay can find lodging with Night Fog, a unicorn mare that lives in one of the abandoned mansions and will share the place with guests. Just don't enter the west wing, she will warn. You will not like what you find there.

Necrose

Re: Town: Ebonsilk

Postby Necrose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:38 am

Ooh, mysterious. I like it.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 am

Reminds me of Call of Cthulhu haha. I love it!
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Temptation

Postby Temptation » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:01 am

Canada714 wrote:Reminds me of Call of Cthulhu haha. I love it!

Cthulhu is a bit more otherworldly impersonal horror.
The idea was for old school gothic horror. Poe, Stoker, etc. :)

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:54 am

Okay that's true. :blush: I just meant it sounds haunted and spooky and I love it haha
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Temptation

Postby Temptation » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Canada714 wrote:Okay that's true. :blush: I just meant it sounds haunted and spooky and I love it haha

Just remember to giggle at the ghosties. Wait, on second thought, that might not work so well. :rderp:

Return to “Drawing Board”