Race - Clockwork

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Race - Clockwork

Postby David » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:20 pm

I present a ponykind variant:

Clockwork:
Long ago, some ponies worked together, defying the order of nature and the mandate of the gods themselves. They wielded powerful magics and even larger egos as they made their attempt to rewrite the world in their image. When the smoke cleared, the wrath of the divine has been brought down on them. Their leader had been killed outright, laying her life down to weave one last enchantment to protect her fellows from the folly she had brought upon them. Their bodies had been altered along with their destinies. One and all, their brand had become a metallic gear emblazoned on equally metal hides. Their insides clicked and whirred softly, betraying their new, mechanical, nature. They were machines, but yet they lived.
Their salvation was as much a curse, but there was reprieve. Once a year, when the day was longest, they could sing praises to the sun goddess. It was a time of unchecked revelry starting the day before and going to the day after, during which the clockworks were made flesh. Any children created during this time will carry the curse onwards, born clockwork. Clockwork can and do form families outside these times, and can have children with one another outside the festival days.
Despite being comprised of gears and springs, clockwork do grow, age, and die like other ponies. Over time, old parts fall free, and new parts grow into their place. It is considered taboo to sell one's old parts, but they do make for sentimental gifts to friends and family, especially when worked into something larger. The largest example of this being the clocktower of Bit n' Bolt, which was fabricated over decades by one pony using his own parts until the monument to his love for the city was complete.
Their brand of destiny always features a gear, but does not always appear on the flank. All of the primary tribes of pony can appear as clockwork. Earth-bound clockwork with great piston driven legs, pegasi with beautiful wings of stained glass and crystal, and unicorns with delicately filigreed horns. Their intricate appearance has once earned them favor with the Queen, when a dancing earth-bound clockwork became one of her court performers, charming the Queen and those in attendance with her.
Base Speed reduced to 30ft.
Gain half-construct subtype.
Half Construct: +2 racial bonus to saving throws against disease, poison, and effects that cause exhaustion or fatigue.
Fragile Soul: Clockwork cannot be raised or resurrected normally.
Machine Life: Clockwork do not need to eat, breathe, or sleep. They may do so, if they wish, or to gain a benefit, such as drinking a potion, or sleeping to regain spells.
Extreme Design: Whatever negative attribute you gain to your attributes due to race is further reduced by 2. For example, if you are an earth-bound clockwork, your dexterity would lower by 2. If your race has no attribute negative, select any one to receive -2.
This replaces the level 1 bonus feat.

David
Site Admin

Re: Race - Clockwork

Postby David » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Some feats:

Passive Recall
Prerequisite: Construct or half-construct
Benefit: When resting to recover your spells, you do not need to sleep, simply to engage in minimal activity. You could be standing watch while your precise mind slowly renews itself for the upcoming day.

Vital Guard
Your vital systems are protected from harm behind your hardest materials.
Prerequisite: Construct or half-construct
Benefit: You gain the benefit of lesser fortification, granting a 25% chance of sneak attack or critical hit negation. This does not stack with fortification from other sources.

Metal Vitality
Your partially living form is difficult to hamper through necromancy, poison, and other debilitating effects.
Prerequisite: Half-construct
Benefit: Whenever you suffer ability damage or drain, there is a 25% chance per point of negating the drain/damage of that point.
Special: This feat can be taken up to three times, stacking up to 75% chance of negation.

Field Reconstruction
When you are killed, your allies may revive you by providing the materials and time for you to recover.
Prerequisite: Half-construct, level 10, diehard
Benefit: You may be revived as per raise dead if your remains are sprinkled with a combination of iron and diamond dust worth 5000 gp and an hour passes. The components are consumed upon your revival.

westwindfall

Postby westwindfall » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 pm

Loving the Clockwork so far! (Full disclosure I am the ground breaking backer who suggested them.)
Cant wait to see them full realized.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Glad you unlurked to join us. I think people will get a real kick out of your race.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 am

I've always been a fan of clockwork (loved fighting Dwarven enemies in Skyrim especially except that meant I broke them lol) so this is right up my alley :) Whats the last stat though? The minus two one. I'm really lost on that. :???:
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 am

All clockwork are clockwork -something-. Clockwork earth-bound, clockwork unicorn, clockwork pegasus, etc.

Look at their stats, say, +2 strength, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma.

Being clockwork, the charisma would drop another 2.

If you had +2 dexterity, +2 wisdom, -2 strength, you'd lose 2 more strength.

Their weakness becomes more weak.

If you had no -s, you get to pick any attribute to get the -2.

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:58 am

OH!! Now I get it. That's a cool unique way to balance them out
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:27 pm

I do have a strange question, but you can list given the state what defines a "All of the primary tribes of pony" Just the earth, pegasi, and unicorn? Sorry on the question if it seems obvious, I did want to make sure on the language being exactly that.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Fluff meets mechanics.

Clockwork replaces your first level feat, so any other ponykind variant that doesn't also replace your first level bonus feat is legal.

Earth-bound
Pegasus
Unicorn
Zebra
Leather Wing
Sea Horse

There are some that are incompatible, such as:

Doppelgangers
Chaos Hunters
Gem Ponies

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Thank you very much for the reply! This helps a great deal in clearing up that moment of wondering.

Return to “Drawing Board”