City - Blevik

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Re: City - Blevik

Postby David » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm

How many ponies serve in positions of importance? How many thousands of shapeshifters do you need to supplant them in one city?

You don't need to worry about unimportant people. They will do what they are told so long as the right people are doing the telling. With shapeshifters, you are always the right person doing the telling. What would the disruption be? Dead ponies tell no tales, and no one vanishes. How would anyone but someone very close to the victim even know something happened?

To go into a real world situation, how many doppelgangers would it take to seize control of the senate? Well, one per senator. This city has over ten thousand to go around.

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 pm

Necrose wrote:... Okay, does it bother anybody else that that the shapeshifters are in the minority among the ponies in this town, yet they control everything? I'm trying to but just not getting how they can make up only 30% of the pony population and have there be enough of them to keep everybody, pony and otherwise, who lives there in line. One would think that being so outnumbered as they are, even with their ability to be anypony or anyone else at any time, that too much disruption too often would prove too much for them to keep up with. Don't get me wrong, it's a fascinating idea, but I fail to see how they could be so outnumbered by the rest of the citizens and be in control.

That would greatly depend on how well organized they are. They don't really need to be in control of every pony. They just need to be in control of the Ponies, who keep every other pony in line, with loyal non-shapeshifting guards under their orders. If 30% of the population keeps the other 30-40% in line, then there's only 30-40% of the population to rise up against 60-70%. And that 60-70% happens to be the well armed side of the population.

Never control the Army. Control the Armies leaders.

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 pm

The biggest external threat I can see to a city like this, is from those whom wield the magics of truth and compliance. If you can't lie, but only speak the truth on the five simple tenets of Who, What, Where, How, and Why. This is why I loved inquisitors idea, because a great many of the darkest monsters are not out there in the wilderness, but dwell amongst the herd, as it were. I would doubt this city has many non-corrupt priests, or more to those friendly to the right people.

The nature of control by a small amount of shapeshifters though. I can easily see, especially so if you have them in the ruling laws of the land. Especially if you can implicate strangers, foreigners, and troublemakers with being able to shape shift into the target to cause this. It's half the problem with dealing with them. It's like trying to root out a master vampire in a large city or town, they have shields and proxies that may or may not be innocent victims, or those they hold in thrall.

About the only good way a player group can really fight that, is if they are capable enough to strike down the city itself, or enough so that, the people in charge are better off bribing them to leave. All but the LG, NG are likely to accept the monetary offer, even for pcs, most are too.

But this city is something fun, because there is so much you can do here as a gm/dm, from the start, to the finish, this city will be great to adventure in.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:51 am

This calls to me, the silliness, and I cannot resist... hehehe

*doppleganger pony walks out, shifts to a human-form, in black armor*

I'm Solitary Performance, and this is my favorite city on the map.

*doppleganger shifts back to pony shape, and walks out*
... yes, that was a Mass Effect reference.

Celest

Postby Celest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Nice and dark. Seeing similarities to every other 'lawful evil' city in fantasy. Freeport. Ankh-Morpork. The idea of a city that knows that at some levels it is corrupt but is perfectly fine with it and thrives because of it. It isn't like such is all that different from how real world politics works, although they use court cases and money to do things, rather than shapeshifting and knives.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Working on traits and I thought I'd share one:

Blevik Dissident(Regional): While others quiver in silent fear, you have taken a stand against the doppelgangers. Any time you come within 30' of a creature not in its natural form, you may make a reflexive sense motive to spot the disguise, be it magical or mundane. You are not aware of when you make these checks.

It's like trapspotter, for shapeshifters.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:56 pm

If things are going smoothly in a city the general townponies could care less.
This is also how most evil cities work. "Yes, the king is a vampire but he keeps the streets clean, doesn't
tax us to death and keeps the barbarian hordes outside the gate. I would vote for him again."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Pretty much, but there are always 'those people' who can't leave well enough alone.

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:42 pm

I wonder though, how much of those in charge are as the saying goes "old money" in that even if you are a younger up and coming fellow of the right credentials, that they still will ruin you because you aren't the right fit for them? And what that would cause in the younger shifters to see happen, especially since they are the ones that are being lumped in with the rest of the masses?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Shapeshifters are part of the cool kids' club. Their mutual worship of Kara gives them purpose together and they watch out for one another, at least insofar that no doppelgangers are going hungry in Blevik. Past that, politics are politics. A bright eyed troublemaker, perceived or actual, will get less support trying to wedge into the local power structure than someone known and tried. This sounds like a story.

Return to “Drawing Board”