Phoenix Wolf

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Re: Phoenix Wolf

Postby David » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Hey, stop peeking at my notes.

Wings of Fire
Turning your inner heat to new focus, you can launch yourself into brief jaunts of fiery flight.
Prerequisite: Phoenix wolf, Sun Kiss, Character level 7
Benefit: You may fly for up to one minute per character level per day. These minutes do not need to be continuous. Use of this ability for any time disables your ability to breath fire for the day. This flight is a supernatural ability at 40'(average).

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm not looking at your notes, it's just that great minds think alike I guess :laugh:

But two things. One, I think that when you put the level prerequisites and such are good, making it a strong ability that isn't overly cheap or easy to get, and two, that if you are getting it as a feat, you shouldn't have to lose your fire breath because you decided to use it. I know it's nitpicking, but when you could also take a feat at seventh level such as additional discovery and gain flight that way, losing the first feat just for that makes it feel slightly gimmicky

Rannil

Postby Rannil » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Tamara Bloodhoof wrote:Though I must ask, is the 1d6 per character level a good idea, or should it be per two character levels?

It is strong, comparable to a level three or four spell (Fireball or Dragon Breaths comes closest to compare, but it ain't the same... Also see Fire Breath.) Then again its the kind of ability which use can vary encounter from encounter. Depending on DM and setting, you might never set more then 2-3 on fire but in other cases you might burn down armies of enemies. In the wrong hands and right scenario, it can be devastating, but I figure on average it won't break that many encounters, but will still be "wow! nice damage" moment.

ProfCharles wrote:Going by the name, it would be great flavour if they could briefly manifest wings of fire. Obviously have to be a brief, one use power sort of thing for balance reasons, but the though of playing as a flaming, flying wolf is too awesome to pass up on.

You sir, you won the gratitude of the entire Phoenix Wolf kind! Awesome suggestion. <3

Tamara Bloodhoof wrote:I'm not looking at your notes, it's just that great minds think alike I guess :laugh:

But two things. One, I think that when you put the level prerequisites and such are good, making it a strong ability that isn't overly cheap or easy to get, and two, that if you are getting it as a feat, you shouldn't have to lose your fire breath because you decided to use it. I know it's nitpicking, but when you could also take a feat at seventh level such as additional discovery and gain flight that way, losing the first feat just for that makes it feel slightly gimmicky

I agree, two feats is a heavy price for flight, because there are so many ways to get it.
Compare it to Angel Wings, the aasimar way of getting flight. they get it at level 10, but then its a permanent pair of wings and they keep their they prerequisite feat bonuses.
Emissary of the Phoenix Wolves.

Lore Stalker, Seeker of Truth, is writing pony fanfiction right here, on my blog. Currently writing for National Pony Writing Month.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:57 pm

A suggestion for a compromise on the Wings of Fire/Sun Kiss spill-over?
As both currently, as of the time of posting, reflect a something per character level, why not have them split this, for all the potentially overpowered it might suddenly give.
Example: lv10 phoenix wolf. Would have 10d6 of fire or 10 minutes of flight. Suggestion would be such as, spend 3 minutes flying, breath a 5d6 gout of flame, and fly 2 more minutes.
Basically, it'd be giving them a Class Level pool of internal fire, that they could split for uses of the feats in question... Would provide more uses of weaker fire from Sun Kiss, and allow you to not lose the entire fire if you decide to fly a bit... it's also probably a bit overpowered of a suggestion, but it is a thought none-the-less... could even be the grounds for a feat.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Revision:

Wings of Fire
Turning your inner heat to new focus, you can launch yourself into brief jaunts of fiery flight.
Prerequisite: Phoenix wolf, Sun Kiss, Character level 7
Benefit: You may fly for up to one minute per character level per day. These minutes do not need to be continuous. This flight is a supernatural ability at 40ft. (average).

Return to “Drawing Board”