On The Possibility Of Hippogriffs.

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
The MAJR

On The Possibility Of Hippogriffs.

Postby The MAJR » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:38 pm

With the new Griffon expansion comming next year I was wondering if the mythological Hippogriff (Griffon/Pony hybrids) could possibly make it into a playable race. Could make for some great roleplay character wise with their unique social standing. Though I will admit I'm not entirely sure what they could bring that would be unique to their race. Would they get bonuses based on what race the pony parent was or would that be too Op? Just curious for your thoughts on this idea. :moustache:

David
Site Admin

Re: On The Possibility Of Hippogriffs.

Postby David » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Since you ask...

Hippogriffs

Hippogriffs are the result of relations between griffons and ponykind. Most often the natural outcome of the kinship felt by pegasi and their griffon allies. It is technically possible for griffons to crossbreed with any variety of ponykind, but the idea of being with something both a pony and bound to the ground is repugnant enough to turn away the notion from most griffons. Despite what aspect of griffon or ponykind is involved, hippogriffs tend to not display the specific strengths of those breeds, instead demonstrating a more general kinship to both species on a broad level.
Physically, hippogriffs have the forebody of an griffon of any possible avian aspect. Their back is that of a pony, brand of destiny included. Their appearance is considered unusual to either race, making finding a place to call home a challenge. Hippogriffs produce more hippogriffs when they make families, though it is rarely possible for a child that appears to be pure blooded griffon or pony to result.
+2 to any one stat
Medium Size
40ft Movement(-10ft if holding an item)
Quadraped
Fly (30 ft, clumsy)
Unique Destiny: Like most ponykind, hippogriffs are born with a brand of destiny, and gain a bonus feat at first level.
Ponykind: Qualifies as ponykind for all effects, feats, and archetypes, to be used by or against the hippogriff.
Griffon: Qualifies as griffon for all effects, feats, and archetypes, to be used by or against the hippogriff.

The MAJR

Postby The MAJR » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Ask and thou shall recieve lol. Can't wait for the expansion.

Btw I was wondering, I wanted to make a Griffon/Hippogriff character with the front end based of a Toucan and I saw that some creatures have natural weapons (I.E. Sharpened Horn), could a Toucan's bill, being so large compared to it's body be used as a natural bludgeoning weapon (like a sideswipe as apposed to a headbutt)?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Well, a bite can do bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing, so if you specifically want to limit yourself to bludgeoning only, I can't imagine a GM would object? But it's up to your GM.

The MAJR

Postby The MAJR » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Could a Hippogriff descend from a Zebra and recieve a Glyph mark or are they restricted to the more common Marks Of Destiny?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

While they could have a mark that looks like a pattern, they would gain no particular benefit from it, nor would qualify for Zebra specific feats/etc.

Jynnx

Postby Jynnx » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:40 pm

The MAJR wrote:Ask and thou shall recieve lol. Can't wait for the expansion.

Btw I was wondering, I wanted to make a Griffon/Hippogriff character with the front end based of a Toucan and I saw that some creatures have natural weapons (I.E. Sharpened Horn), could a Toucan's bill, being so large compared to it's body be used as a natural bludgeoning weapon (like a sideswipe as apposed to a headbutt)?

Honestly, I think what you're imagining here is better suited to being a flavorful unarmed strike. Natural weapons are meant to be used a particular way, by virtue of either evolution or design. That's why a minotaur doesn't try to slash at you with its horns as opposed to goring you - it just doesn't work. That said, there's nothing in the game that prevents you from re-skinning whatever you want as long as you abide by its mechanics.
Let me sleep through this time of pain,
And grant me innocent dreams.
Rouse me during the first summer rain,
When all the world's at peace, it seems.

Watch Jynnxed TV on YouTube!

Irockman1

On The Possibility Of Hippogriffs

Postby Irockman1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:23 pm

You know with new camera I could catch Rick's dad on film. The question is will I live long enough to post

Return to “Drawing Board”