Leather Wings

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Re: Leather Wings

Postby David » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Right, we nixed hardy as a trait since, well, dwarves get that. You're not dwarves, you're ponies.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 am

Sensitive Ears
In the realm of the dark, it pays to expand other senses.
Prerequisite: Leather wing
Benefit: You may, as a move action, make a DC 20 perception check to gain blindsense 60' until the start of your next turn.

Sonar
Like the bat you resemble, you can navigate even when sight entirely betrays you.
Prerequisite: Sensitive Ears
Benefit: Your blindsense is constant.

Sound Sight
As often as not, your eyes are closed. Who has need of such things when you have such marvelous ears?
Prerequisite: Sonar, must not have Night Embrace
Benefit: Your blindsense extends to 90' and you gain blindsight 60'.

Were those updated as well as the first post? Could you please add them to the first post? It would make them easier to find that way. :)

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 am

Also, the ability Blind sense confuses me. :huh:

Blindsense

Blindsense lets a creature notice things it cannot see, but without the precision of blindsight. The creature with blindsense usually does not need to make Perception checks to notice and locate creatures within range of its blindsense ability, provided that it has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent that cannot be seen has total concealment (50% miss chance) against a creature with blindsense, and the blindsensing creature still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of a creature with blindsense. A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

I understand that Blindsight is like echolocation. So what exactly is blindsense?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:11 am

Blindsense is a less precise blindsight. If Blindsight is sight, blindsense is hearing. You can hear someone talking, but your eyes are closed. You know where they are standing, because you can hear them talking, but that's about it. You have no idea what they're wearing, or if they have a sword drawn or not, just that they are there.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 am

Oh! Thank you. :) That makes it much clearer.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 am

Um... one other thing - ok maybe two things. :blush: Darkvision is in black and white, while Low-Light vision keeps color, right? Since Leather Wings lose Low Light because they get Darkvision, does this make them colorblind? Or could they see in color if they ever came out during the day? Could they even see at all during the day or would the sunlight blind them due to the dazzling penalty?

Also, you mention in the first book that the uncommon breeds usually turn up in families of the "Most Common" breeds. And we know from "that-show-which-shall-not-be-named-here", that different breeds can turn up in other breeds' families, such as certain pegasus/unicorn twins being born to earth-bound parents, the idea of which you've adopted for Ponyfinder. This being the case, would that happen with Leather Wings and the other "pony" races as well? Say, a Leather Wing born to day Pegasi, or a Zebra born to Earth-bound Ponies? Or, hay, maybe even a Desert Pony born to Unicorns or something unexpected like that?

I ask because I'd like to try playing a Leather Wing or "Night Winged" Pegasus sometime. :)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 am

Yes, pony genetics is a murky thing at best. One should not spend too much time considering it, lest they invite madness.

Edit: This becomes more true the further along the timeline you go. In pre empire time, pony lines were very pure, but they got muddled and murky during the empire as the tribes came together.

Jynnx

Postby Jynnx » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

Darkvision only activates in the proper lighting cindition. By RAW, nothing with darkvision is colirblind, since they revert to "standard" vision in normal light.

Unless they also carry the Light Blindness or related weaknesses, they see just fine in nornal lihht without any penalties.
Let me sleep through this time of pain,
And grant me innocent dreams.
Rouse me during the first summer rain,
When all the world's at peace, it seems.

Watch Jynnxed TV on YouTube!

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

Ok. I think I understand it now. :) So when you say something with Darkvision is dazzled by bright lights, it's just being in the dark and then getting a flashlight beam straight to the eyes. Ouch. So they would have normal sight in daylight and dim light, and then in darkness Darkvision acts like built-in night vision goggles? Sweet. :D

Btw, what's "RAW"?

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:00 pm

David wrote:Yes, pony genetics is a murky thing at best. One should not spend too much time considering it, lest they invite madness.

Edit: This becomes more true the further along the timeline you go. In pre empire time, pony lines were very pure, but they got muddled and murky during the empire as the tribes came together.

Cool info. :) Thanks!

Return to “Drawing Board”