Leather Wings

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
TheStratovarian

Re: Leather Wings

Postby TheStratovarian » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:38 am

Ah, a question or two, as I am not that familiar with pathfinder, but very much so with 3.5.

I notice you are using both blindsense, and blindsight, but wondering for pathfinder, is blindsense is the same as the 3.5 still correct? If so, then really, sense is a very different can of worms to blindsight. And hiding it behind a move action and check helps a ton to balance it out. Its not often you get blind sense, very few have that compared to blindsight.

But here is something else, to get this, you have to sink in a great deal of feats. Feat cost is pricey! Even if you sink in that many, look what it costs you. Those feats you are behind in damage, ability, and class effectiveness for a skill you need to use part of your action on.

But, this reminds me of a dark sun class for gladiator. If anyone here has played a jazz't, or was it jazzat, they were blind gladiators, but made an equivalent listen check at certain points, to gain a kind of sight out to a set distances, or ranges as the game had them. They had close, 0-30ft, medium, 31-90, long was 91-120ft, and extreme i think, 121-240 or 360 (Max bow range) Is there any way that might work in a way better that direct blindsense/sight, but offer the same kind of benefits? As it sounds a kind of echolocation in this regard? Alongside its foiling by items that muffled and negated sound.

The next item I did sorta wonder about, are you trying to make what is viewed as the Thestrals, from luna's guard, or are they those that the nights blessing that they took from her? But this is looking a very neat idea of what you are trying.

Sorry if i missed it in reading the topic.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:07 am

I have never heard of 'Thestrals'?

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:32 am

I would like to ask if the Leather wings could be omnivores rather than herbivores, given that they had to survive in harsher areas where food is scarcer. They would still primarily eat vegetables and grass over meat, but would not risk indigestion. That would also mean that their teeth would be a little bit more human/pig/bear-like and a little less equine. (though still mostly equine)
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:38 am

Hmm. I didn't mention their diet, but that sounds like a good call.

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:51 am

:) Eating a fellow equine would be a big no-no, but humanoids... >_> <_< suddenly the hunters become the prey

PS: My field of study happens to be forest-sciences and forest-ecology, it's part of my profession to think about stuff like diets and habitats and such

Edit: I think I just fell in love with the Leather wings :-D I am sooo going to make a Leather wing ranger

TheStratovarian

Postby TheStratovarian » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Wow, a little looking, and it seems the name was coined from a potter book. but i've heard it used for the batpony's in more than a few fictions that i've seen.

The description from potterverse, roughly. Thestrals are an elusive, carnivorous species of winged horse, visible only to those who have witnessed and embraced a death. Described as having "blank, white, shining eyes," a "dragonish face," "long, black manes," "great leathery wings," And ah nuts, if its coined there, it would not be usable here then, ah well.

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:52 am

I would like to ask if the first post could be edited so that it reflects all the changes and additions that have arisen from the varies discussions and suggestions. The original could still be left so that we can see from where we came and wehere we are going, not only for this thread but also for the others.

Also: the Thestrals would sound like always chaotic evil cannibals in ponyfinder, I really dislike the always part, it's nothing but a cheap excuse to murder and pillage without moral baggage

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:45 am

Updated.

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Personally I'd say we have a pretty solid race state-wise, now let's come up with typical items and social quirks when they are among themselves. (Of course if somepony still likes to add something, I definitely won't object)

Religious quirks typical for Leather Wings: since Leather Wings are omnivores, when they make sacrifices to their goddesses, it is not unusual for them to offer a bunny or other animals (be them cattle or wild) typically with a with precious metals and jewels encrusted obsidian blade (the gems and metals are only for decoration, what matters is the obsidian, the black hard volcanic glass that makes the sharpest of edges). Beyond the material value (with may vary) these blades a typically family or clan heirlooms, some of them hundreds of years old, making them priceless, and a prized trophy among the rich and more ruthless avant-garde of society (of any kind, be it humanoid or equine). Leather Wings will go to great lengths to recover these precious relics of their history and tradition.
This would give rise to the persistent rumour that the (prejudice mode on) foul, evil, ugly, cannibalistic Leather Wings sacrifice humanoids and equines. (prejudice mode off) While there are evil cults that sacrifice humanoids and equines, there are no more among Leather Wings than there are among the other equine races.
Last edited by Platinius on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bahamutkotd

Postby bahamutkotd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 pm

is hardy renamed earth bound at this time?

Return to “Drawing Board”