Leather Wings

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Re: Leather Wings

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Sensitive Ears
In the realm of the dark, it pays to expand other senses.
Prerequisite: Leather wing
Benefit: You may, as a move action, make a DC 20 perception check to gain blindsense 60' until the start of your next turn.

Sonar
Like the bat you resemble, you can navigate even when sight entirely betrays you.
Prerequisite: Sensitive Ears
Benefit: Your blindsense is constant.

Sound Sight
As often as not, your eyes are closed. Who has need of such things when you have such marvelous ears?
Prerequisite: Sonar, must not have Night Embrace
Benefit: Your blindsense extends to 90' and you gain blindsight 60'.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 pm

That is sickly overpowered. There needs to be level restrictions on the last one, at least around Lv 9, or your going to have every fighter imaginable playing that race for blind sight at 3rd level! Also, while I know the first one is meant to be hard for early levels, it should probably be a DC 25, or, once again, there will be a flood of rangers who only take that feet but always use it at around Lv 3

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

The first one has a severe action economy tax that you just cannot mitigate. The perception check is a mere formality, using a move action is horrifying.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Hmm, I'll grant that, but I do still think that the third in the line is way to easy to get, with third level being the earliest, and if you have blindsight by third, then you can make a barbarian that nobody would be capable of killing...

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I added a requirement of perception 10 ranks, which fits well enough.
You should be able to kill a barbarian by more things than invisible enemies though.

Tamara Bloodhoof

Postby Tamara Bloodhoof » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Invisibility, stealth, and all forms of darkness, magical and not, all are negated by blind sight. It effectively kills one of the strongest second level spells, and it also ruins the third level party killer as I call it, Deeper Darkness, but yeah, a Lv10 feat that gives that makes sense.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Watching this topic closely for various reasons... :P

I'm not understanding the speed reduction though, they are still four legged ponies.
Also, is there some way to label them as a variant pegasus so that they are still able
to take those feats as well since those are labeled as pegasus feats?
Also, I am still trying to learn the world they are in but is there a reason they need
to be underground ponies instead of just like a night version of the pegasi?
I had kind of pictured them as that from the series we all love since there are times
when weather needs to happen at night as so they covered that duty since they
could see then.

So, anyway, I am not overly familiar with Pathfinder itself since my group has never
left D&D 3.5 but I have been gaming for many years and would love to help in any way
that I can.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Some feats they share with pegasi, like dashing flyer. Some they do not, like cloud kicker. The new book is a bit more careful about how we phrase feat requirements(There's a difference between requiring a fly speed and requiring pegasus!).

It is thought that, at one point, leather wings WERE just 'night loving pegasi', but they have become a tribe in their own right, with all the ups and downs of that. The speed loss and low light loss went towards 'funding' their significant night vision, but that's open to negotiation, considering they don't get the Cloud Walker ability.

Overall, I think leather wings are worthy and interesting ponies that would perform well in any adventuring group.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Darn, was really looking forward to the Cloud Walking and all the feats that come with that.
But if you guys are keeping the Night Wing feat then I can still keep my character concept.
Or just run with a regular pegasi.
Either way I am looking forward to more of how this world is shaping up. :D

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 pm

Great race. Love to see bat-winged pegasi and its makes a lot of sense that ponies underground would need to fly about. Brilliant take :)
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

Return to “Drawing Board”