Ponies as...

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Ponies as...

Postby David » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Ponies as Cavaliers
A curious profession for a race that appears like small mounts to the humanoid races, cavaliers do draw a small number of ponykind. The idea of chivalrous charges into danger appeals to a select few, and the comradery of the cavalier orders can be a powerful draw to the social minded ponykind. Ponykind are capable of riding any mount large enough to hold them. Able to sit upright and with all the knee control of any human, they can control a mount with minimal difficulty.

For their choice of mount, most of ponykind finds it feels wrong to exploit their 'simplehoof' kin. Others argue that their slow witted, but larger, horse mounts deserve as much chance to fight for the forces of good, or their Queen, as anyone else. Ultimately, the choice is up to the individual cavalier. Some try to go without a mount at all, instead relying on the lance's synergy with their weapon rack to perform mounted charges on their own four hooves.

----

Ponies as Alchemists
Especially during the height of the empire, ponies have been called to curiosity about the workings of the world. Zebra have a particular attraction to the art, finding that its discoveries mesh well with their inherent urge to seek out their place in the great workings of the universe. Recognizing a ponykind alchemist is not difficult, even if one ignores the dangling alchemical supplies. Most develop stains around the lips and snout from their experiments, for better or worse.

Mutagen use varies with the practitioner, but since most ponykind are thankful for the forms granted to them by fate, mutagen use draws mild bewilderment and distrust from common pony folk. Who are these strange magic brewers that think they know better than the gods how to perfect their form? Of course, they are not alone in this, sharing the shadow of polite society with druids and transmutational wizards.

lonewolf23k

Re: Ponies as...

Postby lonewolf23k » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 pm

I've already posted my thoughts in the Stablemastery forum, but I'll repeat them here. The idea of a Pony riding anything is just weird. Instead, I'd consider giving Pony Cavaliers a variant of the feat Stable Gallop, that applies to the Pony's AC rather then a rider's, then give them variant on Cavalier's Charge that apply to regular Charges rather then Mounted Charges.

A Pony Cavalier is his OWN mighty steed.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Seraphem

Postby Seraphem » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Still weird, but, looks nice. This is really just the 'as' blurb so, does a good job. A mount-less cavalier's details are something more suited for an archetype. Or just each GM's own houserules. Already posted mine all over the place.

The alchemists, really nice job there.

Now just need one for Magi... and no, totally not just saying that because Magus is my favorite class that really needs more love overall, nope, not at all.

MeatyMuffin009

Postby MeatyMuffin009 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:10 pm

lonewolf23k wrote:The idea of a Pony riding anything is just weird.

Any day I get to reference Gravity Falls is a good day. But seriously, I couldn't see why ponies riding "simplehooves" wouldn't work when the game takes place in a fantasy setting. Would it be awkward? Perhaps. Would it be impossible? Nah.

I do like the idea of a variation on the Stable Gallop feat, though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou shindeiru

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 pm

The main disability of ponykind is that whole finger thing. But, combat riding assumes no hands are in use anyway. Of course, how you handle your ponykind cavalry in your own game is cool.

jonir

Postby jonir » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Here are some things that I ponder when writing a adventure for Ponyfinder:

Firstly: Pony Rogues.

According to the rulebook they aren't that common, and I can see why: Sleight of hand is really hard to execute when you dont have any fingers.

Oh, and I like to know about weapon racks: How do they look like? How much do they cost? Can they be used for crossbows and such?

Can unicorn's magic be used to operate ranged weapons?

I usually picture a Ballista-style crossbow that is mounted on the ground (or other pony's back) and somepony operates it. So you need two ponies in warfare for shooting. That is probably why in warfare ponies prefer to go head-on.

Plus, if your pony have a helmet that covers the face, how can you use sword?

My games usually have a focus on warfare, so I like to think how these things work. In my version of Everglow there is wars against some ponies.
I am not saying that Ponyfinder is a bad idea, I love the idea, but I also like to be consistent with the setting. That means that I like to think logically. :)

Glyph Reader

Postby Glyph Reader » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

jonir wrote:Here are some things that I ponder when writing a adventure for Ponyfinder:

According to the rulebook they aren't that common, and I can see why: Sleight of hand is really hard to execute when you dont have any fingers.

Oh, and I like to know about weapon racks: How do they look like? How much do they cost? Can they be used for crossbows and such?

I usually picture a Ballista-style crossbow that is mounted on the ground (or other pony's back) and somepony operates it. So you need two ponies in warfare for shooting. That is probably why in warfare ponies prefer to go head-on.

My games usually have a focus on warfare, so I like to think how these things work. In my version of Everglow there is wars against some ponies.
I am not saying that Ponyfinder is a bad idea, I love the idea, but I also like to be consistent with the setting. That means that I like to think logically. :)

Regarding swords, I like to think that the wepons are either mounted on their forelegs (as in a band or a peice of armor), on a helmet they wear, on their horn (if a unicorn), on their sides (if the weapon could be used effectively this way like a spear).

I think most weapons could be used this way. You would just need to buy lots of ducktape. :P

-Glyph Reader
Forum RPs:
Forlorn Vestige
Adventurers' Folly: Ascent Into Madness (AF: AIM)

I have an art request thread here:
Art Request Thread

Feel free to ask!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 pm

jonir wrote:Here are some things that I ponder when writing a adventure for Ponyfinder:

Weapon racks are like saddles with a forward facing bit to shove in a weapon. It's easiest with long piercing weapons, like lances, which ponies are good at using.

Covering the face does not always mean covering all of the face. Something that covers the eyes, skull, checks, and everything but your mouth leaves your mouth available for grabbing things if that's what you need to get done. Failing that, you could be a little fancier and make a helmet that opens with your mouth so you can get something up in there.

A unicorn's horn can totally use ranged weapons if they take the feats to do so. Most ranged weapons require two hands, so you'd want to have two mental hands to get it working properly. The basic unseen servant spell won't cut it.

War is definitely a thing. Ponyfinder has wars, plenty of them. More of them will come to light in the next book(Griffons of Everglow). As brightly colored as ye ponies are, they still get into a good tussle when things go sour.

Hope this helps!

jonir

Postby jonir » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks, I think it will.

Return to “Drawing Board”