Spell - Curiosity's Lightning Wall

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Spell - Curiosity's Lightning Wall

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:33 am

It's like wall of fire, with less AoE damage and more debuff/control action. Thoughts welcome.

Curiosity's Lightning Wall
School Evocation Level Wiz/Sorc 4
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range Medium (100ft + 10ft./level)
Effect wall 2'/level long, 1'/level high
Duration 10 min/Level
Save see text; Spell Resistance yes
This spell, developed by Curiosity Sparks, creates a crackling line of electricity that can bend and twist, so long as there are no breaks in the line, up to the maximum length of the spell. The wall's bottom must touch the ground. One side of the wall is an intimidating network of sizzling electricity. Standing within 5' of the wall on that side, by being present when the wall is cast or ending a movement there, causes them to take 2d4 damage and must make a fortitude save or become stunned for one round. Actually passing through the wall inflicts 2d6 + caster level(Max +20) damage and a fortitude save to avoid becoming stunned for 1d4 rounds. Creatures stunned due to trying to pass through fail to move and are pushed back to the square just before they entered the wall.

Solitary Performance

Re: Spell - Curiosity's Lightning Wall

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 am

Ok, time to nit-pick. One side is zappy, the other is unmetioned... I'd guess the unmentioned side is safe from the arcing zappies, being the side the caster is likely casting from?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:41 am

Standing on the other side is harmless, aside of maybe getting distracted by all the pretty tesla coil sparklies. Ooooo! I will mention this explicitly though, thanks for the catch!

Ninjaxenomorph

Postby Ninjaxenomorph » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:18 pm

So, like Wall of Fire, but LIGHTNING, plus chance of being stunned. I like it!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Precisely so. Since it has that status in it, I lowered the area that it affects by a good margin. A fire wall you can be standing a small distance away from and still be taking damage, the lightning wall requires you be right next to it, or pushing through it.

I'd prefer neither be completely 'better' than the other, though I admit I prefer lock down over damage myself, if you can get the enemy to fail their save.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Ooh, this makes me wonder about tricky use of bardic song abilities... but I know it'd more-than-likely pop a second save. My thought was Suggestion song, for something realistic (in 2 rounds, come shake my hand), and then have this spell cast in the only viable path between the suggestion-given person and the bard. More than likely, would break the suggestion effect, or at least prompt a save to break it. ... darn, don't think I can bard exploit this right away, XD.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Witches and dual cursed oracles will get along well with wizards/sorcerers with this spell.

Return to “Drawing Board”