Item - Helping Hand Pendant

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Item - Helping Hand Pendant

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 am

Helping Hand Pendant
Aura Light Evocation; CL 3rd
Slot Neck; Price 6,000 gp; Weight Neg.
Description

This amulet is traditionally fashioned of ivory or silver with iconography of an outstretched hand. While wearing the pendant, a quadruped can wield items that normally require two independent hands. The amulet creates temporary force grips just long enough as the wearer goes through the motion of using the device, enabling pony archers, slingers and firearm users. This pendant does not allow two handed melee use as the second hand is transient and most good at stabilizing the weapon, rather than assisting in a swing.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, Unseen Servant; Cost 3,000 gp

Solitary Performance

Re: Item - Helping Hand Pendant

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:37 am

... I blame a batpony... er, leatherwing, for some of this one, after the whole sling discussion that game.

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 am

I am impressed! I love it, and I cannot wait to make a gunslinger. However, I think that while the description gets across what is done by the item, it's still a little confusing as to quite how it operates. Is the spectral hand helping the Earthbound archer hold the bow, or pull the string and nock the arrow? Or is the gunslinger holding the gun reloading, or pulling the trigger with it? I mean, the rules are clear, but I imagine some squabbling would arise as to what exactly the hand could do. I could see an argument that it could function as say a Mage Hand or some such, depending on what the hand does in weapon operation. Maybe some examples of what the hand actually does to aid in the weapon holding.

On a side note, I'd also maybe like to see a spell that would allow perhaps a wizard to cast this on his low-level ranger ally that can't afford the item yet, but wants to use a bow. Just a thought. *Shrug* I really like the item though! Nice job!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 am

That's not a bad idea for a spell. Good idea!

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am

Helping Hand
School Evocation Level Wiz/Sorc 1, Witch 1, Magus 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components S, M
Range Touch
Target Quadruped Touched
Duration 10 min/Level (D)
Save Fort negates(harmless); Spell Resistance yes
While this spell is active, a quadruped can wield items that normally require two independent hands. The amulet creates temporary force grips as long as the wearer goes through the motion of using the device, enabling pony archers, slingers, crossbow, and firearm users. This spell does not allow two-handed melee use as the second hand is transient and most good at stabilizing the weapon, rather than assisting in a swing. The strength of the force hand is equal to the strength of the target.

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:33 pm

The spell still mentions the amulet, just for editing's sake. I am excited for this spell.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Fixed, thanks for catching that.

Return to “Drawing Board”