Summoner Archetype?

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
Intendant S

Re: Summoner Archetype?

Postby Intendant S » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm

David wrote:The top 3 is
Summoner, Sorcerer(tied for #1)
Wizard

All three get an archetype, but I thought I'd tackle it one at a time.

Three arcane spellcasters? I was hoping for a bit more diversity.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, other archetypes got in too, just these are for the votes. Have no fear!

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Summoner won the vote huh?

Well most of the Archetypes already existing are pretty good for general ponies already. So the best thought I have is to make it a Racial Archetype. Give the Archetype to a special race. One such idea would be to the Flutterponies, switching out certain spells with Air/Nature spells (summon monster changed to summon nature's ally for example). Or give the Archetype to the Sea Horses, giving them something close to a Synthesist Archetype that allows them to live outside their natural habitat thanks to their eidolon. Or another race of choice.

Intendant S

Postby Intendant S » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 am

David wrote:Well, other archetypes got in too, just these are for the votes. Have no fear!

Well, then. I retract my last comment. :blush:
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:11 am

Off the top of my head, we have a paladin, rogue, gunslinger, wizard, 2 sorcerer bloodlines, and bard archetype, and that's before going into these poll archetypes.

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 am

*Snoopy dances* yay, bard in the wings

Lesee, looking at summoner on the SRD for pathfinder, I can easily see providing pony tribe specifics to the eidolon, such as a mage hand or unseen servent effect for unicorns, flight (or improving it) for pegasi, and so on. For dopple, maybe a check to duplicate an effect they cannot do, with increased for the really alienated ones (like, dc10 or 15 for unicorn effect for a pegasus dopple, but DC 20, 25, for the gem pony's effect, as dopples have to fake that tribe entirely)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 am

An ability to customize their evolutions on the fly is pretty potent and would require careful thought. I do like the idea of tribe specific evolutions though, so let's dive into that.

gamekid

Postby gamekid » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:17 am

David wrote:Off the top of my head, we have a paladin, rogue, gunslinger, wizard, 2 sorcerer bloodlines, and bard archetype, and that's before going into these poll archetypes.

Ah, so we never did get the Cavalier archetype. Oh well.

Ninjaxenomorph

Postby Ninjaxenomorph » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 pm

It could be something along the lines of other pony tribe evolutions only, round/level. And it would replace an existing evolution.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Behold!

New Evolutions
1-Point Evolutions
Verdant Rebound (Ex): When the eidolon is below half its maximum hitpoints, its fast healing increases by 1. This evolution can be taken multiple times(max 5). This evolution can only be taken by earth-bound.
Improved Flight (Ex): The eidolon's fly maneuverability increases by 1, to a maximum of perfect. This evolution can be taken multiple times. This evolution can only be taken by races with natural flight, and only if the eidolon can fly.
Razor Teeth (Ex): The eidolon's bite inflicts bleeding wounds. This starts at bleed 1 and gains 1 die size(1, 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6…) per additional evolution point, to a max of 1d8. This can only be taken by leather wings.
2-Point Evolutions
Glimmer of Heart (Su): Any time the eidolon passes a will save that an ally fails, it may, as an immediate action, inspire the target if it can see the eidolon and grant a fresh save against the effect. This evolution can only be taken by gem ponies.
King of the Mountain (Ex): When the eidolon scores a hit with a gore attack it may make a free bull rush attempt. This does not provoke an attack of opportunity. This evolution can only be taken by cloven.
Clockwork Innards (Ex): In addition to the usual healing methods an eidolon can employ, your eidolon also benefits from effects that repair objects,such as mending or make whole, or healing effects that operate on constructs. This evolution can only be taken by constructs or half constructs.
Adaptation (Su): Where most eidolons remain static without intricate ritual, this eidolon adjusts itself to fit the need of the moment. Any amount of evolution points of two or more can be spent on this evolution. As a move action, the eidolon may spontaneously assign half those points to evolutions as it pleases. For example, an eidolon with 4 points of adaptation can gain any 2 point evolution, or 2 1 point evolutions as need be. It cannot improve an existing evolution, and changing evolutions causes it to lose any old adapted evolutions. Any evolution selected must be qualified for. Evolutions taken this way can be from other pony tribes. This can only be taken be doppelgangers.
3-Point Evolutions
Flame Eater (Su): When the eidolon is struck with a fire spell, it deals no damage and the eidolon is healed for 1 hit point per 3 damage it would have inflicted. This can only be taken by sun ponies.
Made Big (Ex): The eidolon gains the Giant Dreams feat. This can only be taken by anteans.
Meditative (Ex): The eidolon's Intelligence and Wisdom increases by 2. This can only be taken by zebra.
Pride Dreams (Ex): Any teamwork feat that its summoner possesses are shared by the eidolon. Only one feat at a time can be shared, but this feat can be changed once per round as a free action. This evolution can only be taken by sun cats.

Return to “Drawing Board”