Summoner Archetype?

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Summoner Archetype?

Postby David » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Well, seems Summoner is the most voted for archetype. And here I am left squinting in thought.

I had an alternative idea I thought I'd swing past the lot of you and see how it fits. What if every type of ponykind got a unique evolution or two they could give their Eidolons? So an eidolon of an earth-bound would be just as solid and tough, while unicorn eidolons have unusual magical gifts and fiery sun pony eidolons. Such like that?

Thoughts welcome.

Solitary Performance

Re: Summoner Archetype?

Postby Solitary Performance » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:33 pm

This makes me sad, I wanted bard, XD.
Unfortunately, I've got nothing. I took a cursory glance at summoner on the d20pfsrd, but not in depth enough to provide a good yay or nay on the thought.

Intendant S

Postby Intendant S » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:43 pm

I was hoping for a paladin variant. Regarding summoner, I've never really been interested in that particular class so I'll be of no help here.
"Too much spirit can be a dangerous thing. Tends to... infect others."

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm

The top 3 is
Summoner, Sorcerer(tied for #1)
Wizard

All three get an archetype, but I thought I'd tackle it one at a time.

skunkstrype

Postby skunkstrype » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Sounds interesting.

What sort of evolutions would a Doppelganger's eidolon get, and would it give the Summoner away if they were in the form of another pony?

If the Summoner was one of the whatever-it-is that combines pony races as they gain levels, would the eidolon gain the evolutions for the new pony races or be restricted to the ones for the Summoner's original race?

Solitary Performance

Postby Solitary Performance » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:17 pm

skunkstrype wrote:Sounds interesting.
If the Summoner was one of the whatever-it-is that combines pony races as they gain levels, would the eidolon gain the evolutions for the new pony races or be restricted to the ones for the Summoner's original race?

That's a unification-bloodline sorcerer, I believe, you're talking about there.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm

A scholar of tribes or unification sorcerer could, at GM Discretion, grab out-of-tribe evolutions for their eidolon. By the rules, a scholar of tribes could use their tribal mimicry before using evolution surge and temporarily grant the power to their eidolon, which would be quite nifty in my book.

As for what a doppel pony would get out of it, undecided. I just threw out the general idea to see how you all felt about it, or if I should put my thinking cap back on and make an archetype.

Ninjaxenomorph

Postby Ninjaxenomorph » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:50 pm

I like the idea of racial evolutions. Especially if the Doppelganger one could mimic the others, but only the pony-specific ones.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't anyway about summoners, and I feel kind of dumb for asking this, but... What's an Eidolon?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:00 pm

The extraplanar creature they summon forth from beyond to serve them. Their appearance and abilities are decided by the summoner, changing over time. They're the main attraction of the class.

Return to “Drawing Board”