Rules Update: Unicorn Changed

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
Selerik

Rules Update: Unicorn Changed

Postby Selerik » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:44 am

Hello all,

Based on various feedback from our fans and playtesters, we have opted to move forward with a change to the base unicorn template as follows.

Unicorns will no longer receive mage hand 3/day as an innate ability. Instead, they will receive Unseen Servant 2/day. The associated feats improving upon a Unicorn's mastery of Mage Hand have also been changed accordingly, and substantially simplified. This is a general buff.

There are several reasons both mechanical and thematic for this change. We are still far from publication, so other changes will also be possible. If you have thoughts related to other basic pony mechanics, I encourage you to join us on the Pony Point Breakdown thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125&start=70

IryokuHikari

Re: Rules Update: Unicorn Changed

Postby IryokuHikari » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25 am

And this will be thematically flavored by the players/GMs as "Unicorn Telekinesis." I like the greater weight allowance and the range, plus the duration increase. Will the modifying feats increase uses/day as well as weight and range increasesd, or is that still on the drawing board?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 am

The feats let you wield weapons/shields with 'mental hands' and is entirely separate of the unseen servant. It also nicely solves the 'wield something from across the room' thing as these mental hands are equal in capacity to human hands, which means they don't reach across the room without the rest of you there.

Selerik

Postby Selerik » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:58 am

IryokuHikari wrote:And this will be thematically flavored by the players/GMs as "Unicorn Telekinesis." I like the greater weight allowance and the range, plus the duration increase. Will the modifying feats increase uses/day as well as weight and range increasesd, or is that still on the drawing board?

One important note is that Unseen Servant's duration is in hours per level, so even at low levels you have several hours worth of utility.

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:03 am

I had noticed and do appreciate that change. It allows for all unicorns to lift and levitate several objects, more fitting with "certain flavor" :P

So the "fighting telekinesis"/dancing weapon-type things will be covered under the modifying feats, and the unseen servant thing will be for utility/out of combat telekinesis. Am I following correctly?

Thanks again for your work and effort on this!

IryokuHikari

Selerik

Postby Selerik » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am

IryokuHikari wrote:So the "fighting telekinesis"/dancing weapon-type things will be covered under the modifying feats, and the unseen servant thing will be for utility/out of combat telekinesis. Am I following correctly?

Seems right to me. :)

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Just to be clear, unicorns won't need to have "a piece of string and a bit of wood" on hoof every time they want to use this new "non combat" telekinesis, right?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 pm

You would be correct.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:00 pm

David wrote:You would be correct.

:yay; lol :P :)

Ninjaxenomorph

Postby Ninjaxenomorph » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Spell Like Abilities don't have components, but they do require an action and concentration.

Return to “Drawing Board”