Chaos Hunters Expanded

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Chaos Hunters Expanded

Postby David » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:04 pm

I was hit with inspiration, and got to writing:

Your brand of fate has marked you for the battle against the forces of chaos. You rise to the occasion, seeking out minions of chaos to defeat and safeguard society. Your kind was rare even during the height of the pony civilization. Your birth was likely celebrated and you were brought up on stories of valorous battles and epic deeds. It's a large horseshoe to fill, but, maybe, you're up for it.
It is said that the first chaos hunter was a young pony that suffered great tragedy at the hands of the forces of chaos. The sheer mindlessness of it, that those who took away all he had did not even know or care for his loss, drive him to forsake his original destiny and devote himself to hunting the enemies of order. Like the first, the brand of destiny of those that follow hint at what their destiny might have been, had they not been chosen for the task. While only the first is told to have become a chaos hunter after birth, it remains a faint possibility.
During the height of the empire, the Queen called that such crusaders were to be honored and assisted as a pony could, calling them protectors of the empire. Religiously, chaos hunters can follow the god of their choosing, provided they are not chaotic. Most pay heed to the Sun Queen and the Moon Princess to light their way during the day and the warn them of chaos' approach during evening hours. It is said the Sun Queen weeps quiet tears for the chaos hunters, lamenting that any of her children would have to sacrifice the possibility of peace for a lifetime of vengeance and war.

Dragonflame

Re: Chaos Hunters Expanded

Postby Dragonflame » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:27 pm

So you can them from others by their brand?

Selerik

Postby Selerik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 am

Dragonflame wrote:So you can them from others by their brand?

That would be the implication. Though it should be stated that the disguise skill is equally suited to imitating a brand as it is to other tasks, and that many ponies may keep their brands covered by choice.

David, given the role of Chaos Hunters in society, would a +2 to diplomacy checks with those who upkeep law and order as well as a -2 to diplomacy with those involved with the forces of chaos make sense to you? Assuming their nature is known (and since a well disguised pony could fake being a Chaos Hunter, this bonus might apply to those in disguise as well, being a society thing).

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:29 am

That sounds like more of a circumstance bonus I think, something the GM should decide on? It's worth considering, hm.

Selerik

Postby Selerik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:34 am

The reason I mention it, is I'm reminded of the Hell Knights from Pathfinder, who have similar considerations.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:30 am

The Chaos Hunters remind me a little of the royal guards from "the show". That's pretty cool. :) Oh! Do you think that monster I came up with in the "Pious Brand" thread would be something they'd seek out?

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:05 pm

With all their quadrupedal hearts.

Return to “Drawing Board”