Archetype - Warden of the Night

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
elecwolf1138

Re: Archetype - Warden of the Night

Postby elecwolf1138 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:46 am

Probably need to know more about the moon goddess I guess. How she is in this world actually.
Would one of her servants banish darkness? Since she watched over the night I would think they
would want to keep the darkness and just not be hindered by it. And we could stick to similar
mechanics just specialize them, like instead of Remove Fear, how about when it is dark they
can Cause Fear when it is dark out.

Platinius

Postby Platinius » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:32 pm

Perhaps warden of the night should get stealth as a class skill, no idea what should be replaced, but there you go
Life is an adventure, brave it with courage

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Perhaps something that modifies Smite Evil? Like, against chaotic creatures maybe? (for the madness part), or maybe an aura replacement that deals with chaos or something. I would agree that we need more about the moon goddess, like domains or maybe a rough backstory sketch (minimum spoilers, of course, but enough to think of more flavor options). Maybe an aura that will confuse enemies, or daze them or something based on either a failed save or prolonged exposure (but I don't know of anything that deals with prolonged exposure RAW, so...)

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Moon Princess - LN - She is the benevolent ruler of the night. She has a good relationship with the Sun Queen and while the queen watches over the day, the Moon Princess watches over the darker hours, protecting the faithful from the terrors that lurk there. She visits her worshippers with portents in their dreams to guide them with the struggles of their waking hours. Her clerics are often called to one of two destinies: to protect their communities from the evils of the night, or to pursue, discover, and learn of them in the wider world. They hunt those monsters that stalk communities, and leave others be.
Favored Weapon Striking Horseshoes(Humanoid worshippers may employ spiked knuckles)
Domains Darkness, Knowledge, Void, Loyalty, Smoke
Holy Symbol A perfectly round moon with the shadow of a pony across it.

As posted in the basic race book.

IryokuHikari

Postby IryokuHikari » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Maybe something that gives a use of Augury or some other sort of divination mechanic to reflect the dream visitation, and gives GMs the ability to nudge events in a certain direction? Or maybe a more defensive aura (don't have default paladin abilities in front of me, so if there is one already, sorry :P )

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 am

Really hard to decide honestly... She practically screams paladins. Kind of a home body, defensive kind of paladin.
So not really any change to class itself more of a change in how one would build one or play one. Instead of screaming
and charging across the battlefield to slay the foul undead critter this paladin would put his back against the door of
the chapel where the entire town is hiding and be the last line of defense.
New abilities would be nice but the ones the paladin gets currently are pretty much set for this already.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

Then let's roll with what we have. It's a small archetype, but it works, and has its own whee flavor.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 am

I am starting to think about maybe mixing and matching something with a paladin and a dwarven defender...
The bit on leather wings does kind of lean towards dwarves and if they have a connection to the moon princess
then maybe we have something here. I'll be back.

Update :
I see adding in the AC bouns, Defensive Stance, Uncanny Dodge, DR and Improve Uncanny Dodge from Defender.
Still working out where. Adding in caveats like maybe these only work when protecting others from undead.
Maybe instead use these abilities as is and give a charisma boost when protecting others or at night.
The defensive bonuses can be considered to be their premonitions kicking in, a glimpse into the future as the
Moon Princess guides them from the worst blows.

Still looking.
Last edited by elecwolf1138 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 am

Sudden idea. What if the double damage vs dragons in smite was replaced with double damage vs shapeshifters? Battling lycanthropes seems a higher concern for a moon paladin than dragon slaying.

Dragonflame

Postby Dragonflame » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:20 pm

David wrote:Sudden idea. What if the double damage vs dragons in smite was replaced with double damage vs shapeshifters? Battling lycanthropes seems a higher concern for a moon paladin than dragon slaying.

Agreed^.

Return to “Drawing Board”