Archetype - Warden of the Night

Get sneak peaks at parts of the new book, and contribute to related discussions.
David
Site Admin

Archetype - Warden of the Night

Postby David » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Warden of the Night(Paladin)
These paladins serve the moon princess. They wear darker colors and their divine powers manifest in silvery hues of the moon's fullness instead of the blinding golden glow of the sun. They are dedicated to fighting off evil in its home territory of the night, keeping it safe for innocent ponies.
Moon's Mercy (Su): At 4th level, wardens gain the ability to banish darkness for a time. When they channel to harm, it manifests in a bright glow of silvery moonlight(As per Daylight with a duration of 1 round per paladin level). It is effective against shapeshifters and aberrations, but only half damage to undead. Wardens may not channel to heal.
Lunacy Reprieve (Su): Wardens may select confusion as a mercy, curing confusion effects on those they perform a lay on hands on.

I feel like this one doesn't have enough going on it. Thoughts?

MysticTemplar

Re: Archetype - Warden of the Night

Postby MysticTemplar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Drawing off of the mythic assosciations of the moon, perhaps something dealing with secrets?

I could easily see a 'detect thoughts' analogue, or something, designed to ferret out that which falls in their master's domain?

bahamutkotd

Postby bahamutkotd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 pm

so they give up channel possitive to banish darkness... that's alright doesn't seem to be enough for a full archtype idk how to help here....

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 pm

And harm aberrations/shapeshifters with their channels.

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Idea:

Lunar Wisdom: The paladin may expend a memorized spell as a move action to share the wisdom of the moon. All allies within 30' gain an insight bonus to perception and sense motive equal to the spell level expended for as many rounds as your caster level.

elecwolf1138

Postby elecwolf1138 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

One of the mechanics I remember from madness type things is adding your class level as a modifier
on your casting stat when using the ability but then it became a penalty to it until you rested.
Or something similar... Kind of like the madness makes you extra potent and then takes a toll.
Needless to say I am interested in this line as well. For reasons. :)

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Would they maybe get something to help them see in the dark? I know darkvision and lowlight vision are racial things but it would make sense that those adventuring into the night could see there without assistance
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Hrm... What paladin power would that replace?

Canada714

Postby Canada714 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm not sure. That's the problem haha
...and I said "OATMEAL? ARE YOU CRAZY?!"...oh, sorry
"I also enjoy long walks on the beach beneath the pale blue light of elder gods." -Selerik

David
Site Admin

Postby David » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm

It's ok. Not every archetype has to be a huge shift for a class. That's part of the charm, and what allows different archetypes to stack together to customize your character.

Return to “Drawing Board”